Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can i "transform" an EJ18 to EJ22??

Marter_Templar

Hi everyone, i really want to know if its possible to change an EJ18 motor to an Ej22 , just changing the bores from 87,9mm (EJ18) to 96,9mm(EJ22) , this is really possible? the block of an EJ18 its the same of EJ22??? , tks vry much.

I feel that it's too much trouble. I note that you are from Brazil. How hard is it to get an EJ22 shortblock?

If you do bore it out, you are probably going to bore through the metal cylinder liner. Then you will have to press a new liner in place and that's $$$$$. For the same money you could just get an EJ22 shortblock and new bearings and rings.

Just my 2 cents.

BW

i wonder if you can fit ea82 pistons in the ej 18, say turbo or carb pistons, and go with ej22 heads and a turbo. sorry to hijack your question buts its an idea you may consider.

thats an interesting idea, how much will be the gain? , tksss

I feel that it's too much trouble. I note that you are from Brazil. How hard is it to get an EJ22 shortblock?

If you do bore it out, you are probably going to bore through the metal cylinder liner. Then you will have to press a new liner in place and that's $$$$$. For the same money you could just get an EJ22 shortblock and new bearings and rings.

Just my 2 cents.

BW

so, the Ej22 dont have tha same block of the EJ18???? , then i think its more easy to "transform" an ej18 to ej20 just changing the pistons, what do u think??

Edited by Marter_Templar

thats an interesting idea, how much will be the gain? , tksss

so, the Ej22 dont have tha same block of the EJ18???? , then i think its more easy to "transform" an ej18 to ej20 just changing the pistons, what do u think??

The EJ20 has a 92mm bore. it is the same as the EA82.

The EJ series block shape is the same, it's the bores that are different.

The blocks are made of aluminum and there are steel sleeves casted in. I don't know how thick the sleeves are but if you are going to be enlarging the bore, you will be removing the steel. To make the engine safe to operate, you will need to press in some sleeves to match the enlarged bore. This is not a do it yourself job. Whether you go from a 87.9 bore to a 92, 97 or 100 bore, you will still have to get the sleeves installed. Ask around and you'll find out it's really expensive. It would be cheaper to get the actual shortblock shipped to Brazil than to enlarge the bore.

It sounds like you have little experience in engine building/moding.

Do some research on cylinder boring and you will know what it entails.

BW

this is much simpler than boring blocks and swapping pistons.

just get an EJ22 block, they are readily available, and swap the entire block. of course that's over here, i don't know what availability is like down there.

bolt the EJ18 intake manifold right on top of the EJ22 - bolts right up, plug and play, straight forward and simple.

EJ18 and EJ22 engines can handle a small amount of boost very well, that may be simpler for some folks verses rebuilding an engine block.

so one could simply swap blocks?
i answered that:
swap the entire block.
will the ej18 harness fit on the ej22? im wanting to do this same swap and have both motors complete.
and that:
bolt the EJ18 intake manifold right on top of the EJ22 - bolts right up, plug and play, straight forward and simple.

i would not attempt to swap the wiring harness.

You don't say what year EJ22 but it doesn't much matter, it's really simple (assuming it's a 1998 or earlier Ej22 which i'm sure it is):

EJ18's have EGR so an EJ22 with EGR will make it exactly the same, though you can remove the EGR or use an EJ22 without EGR (which I've done) if you or your state don't mind the check engine light.

If the EJ22 has single port heads then you'll need single port exhaust headers.

That's everything you need to know (and more) to swap your EJ22.

Edited by grossgary

NO

You can only bore an EJ block to accept slightly stock oversized pistons.

The entire casting of the cylinder is a larger diameter on each size EJ

There just isn't any meat to bore into.

EJ18 shortblock can be replaced with an entire EJ20 or EJ22 or even EJ25. Although bigger than the 2.2 and the ECU and injectors may not deliver engouh fuel. Although it would be easy to use the intake and injectors from the 2.2 or 2.5 and swap over your EJ18 harness onto it.

NO

You can only bore an EJ block to accept slightly stock oversized pistons.

The entire casting of the cylinder is a larger diameter on each size EJ

There just isn't any meat to bore into.

EJ18 shortblock can be replaced with an entire EJ20 or EJ22 or even EJ25. Although bigger than the 2.2 and the ECU and injectors may not deliver engouh fuel. Although it would be easy to use the intake and injectors from the 2.2 or 2.5 and swap over your EJ18 harness onto it.

hummmm, tks for information, i will change my question, can i put and EJ22 STOCK/STANDARD Piston on an EJ18 Block???

hummmm, tks for information, i will change my question, can i put and EJ22 STOCK/STANDARD Piston on an EJ18 Block???

ok let's start from the very beginning.

the EJ18 has a 87mm bore. This is essential a hole that is 87mm in diameter.

The EJ22's bore is 92mm. So the EJ22 pistons will be too big for the ej18 bore.

All of this would make sense if you can tell us how easy it is to find EJ22s in in Brazil.

ok let's start from the very beginning.

the EJ18 has a 87mm bore. This is essential a hole that is 87mm in diameter.

The EJ22's bore is 92mm. So the EJ22 pistons will be too big for the ej18 bore.

All of this would make sense if you can tell us how easy it is to find EJ22s in in Brazil.

its not impossible, but not easy to find ej22 in brazil, the only easy and cheap way to the EJ22 piston fits on EJ18 block its to "open" the EJ18 bore from 87mm to 92mm? , tks vry much to being pattient...

Edited by Marter_Templar

thanks sorry i thought i read it all but i guess not lol. i think the only for you to get the bigger bore is either a bigger block in general or take out the sleeve and cut into the actual block but it sounds like the 2nd option there wouldnt work. maby there is a stroker ket for these?

its not impossible, but not easy to find ej22 in brazil, the only easy and cheap way to the EJ22 piston fits on EJ18 block its to "open" the EJ18 bore from 87mm to 92mm? , tks vry much to being pattient...

ok that makes more sense

do you need to do soon or can you wait?

if you can help arrange for cheap lodging during the Brazilian Grand Prix i can bring an EJ22 short block if I go to the race

Edited by s'ko

the only easy and cheap way to the EJ22 piston fits on EJ18 block its to "open" the EJ18 bore from 87mm to 92mm? , tks vry much to being pattient...

It doesn't work that way.

The entire bore casting is smaller diameter. Not just the hole in it.

There is maybe a centimeter of material around the bore. And only about 3mm of that is the steel sleeve.

There just isn't any material to bore. If you where to do it youd end up with cylinderwalls that were paper thin.

You need an EJ22 block to use EJ22 pistons. There is no way to bore it that large.