Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission help>???????????

well i bought it as a fixer upper. all the gears grind and fourth is completely gone i drove it from San Diego to phoenix like that just skipped fourth and went straight to fifth. the guy who owned it before me a was an older guy and i picked it up Farley cheap and found a tranny hear before i went to get it. anyways i had help from a friend that works on cars but he been swarmed with work so i have to do this quest on my own haha.

yeah i just don't know what to do with the shift linkage and clutch and all that? so r&r is 3.5 hours at a shop it would be around $300 for them to pull out my old one and put in my new one?

it depends on if the 3.5 is a correct number and what the hourly rate is,

3.5 hrs X 80$= $280. plus they will charge you for anything else they do, drain and refill, fluid, adjust whatever, exhaust pipe gasket, swap over parts.

and they may try to tell you it is a 5 hour job, but if you tell them bob's auto repair quoted the book as 3.5 hours then may be you get that rate.

Manual trans is lighter than an automatic, yes. There's a lot less going on in a manual. In the auto you have drums, clutches, planetaries, valve body, solenoids, more clutches, more clutches, and about 6 or 7 qts of fluid in the TC that can't be drained out. Plus the TC is heavy as lead by itself.

The flywheel on a manual weighs in at a hefty 23lbs, and the clutch is another 10-15 or so, but it's all attached to the engine, doesn't have to be removed with the trans.

Not that hard to drop it out in your driveway or garage, but a helper is a definite plus. If you have a large floor jack and can get the bottom of the car at least 20 inches off the ground (big jack stands) You can have the trans out in about 3-4 hours depending on how fast you work. Putting the new one in should take about the same as long as you get the input shaft lined up right with the clutch hub and pilot bearing.

can anyone give me a semi detailed step by step to pull and change a transmission in my 97 legacy awd 5 speed i have done one in my 96 legacy awd automatic. i have never done a standard tranny before...

If you've done an auto you can do a standard, watch the clutch fork and the wire loom in its vicinity, as I had my tranny dangling from that loom with the fork grabbing it, linkage is cake just 2 bolts to undo if I remember correctly. I used some tydowns bolted to the srut towers as a 2nd set of hands to hold while repostioning the jack. Do it just for the satisfaction of doing it and saving some cash, enjoy..........G