Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat years?

Ok I am a little new to brats, just picked up my 1st, anyway. I have been searching the interweb looking at different brats for insperation and ideas and when looking at photos of 1978-1979 brats some have 2 headlights and some have 4. Mine is a 79 and has 2 headlights. Am I mistaken or did the 4 light set up come in 1980? Did Subaru make both during these years or do the people on cardomain, and other sites not know what year they have?

Confused... -Jake

the 2 and 4 headlight configurations were available on all the years of the Gen 1's, from 78-81. Typically, the 2 headlights meant it was a DL, and 4 lights meant GL. All Gen 1 Brats have the wiring for the 4 headlight setup though, on the DL's there is just an extra headlight plug dangling behind the grill.

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...

No, ALL Brats came with selectable 4wd, there was never a purely FWD Brat sold in the US, or anywhere else I can think of. In 1981 the GL Brat has Hi-Lo while the DL had just single range 4wd. The GL package for 78-80 basically meant you could get a tachometer, 2 tone plaid/vinyl seats, sliding rear window, and etc. Of course you could order all that on a DL as well.

You could choose 2 or 4 headlights, tachometer or no tach, AC (pretty rare), sliding rear window, blackm silver, or wood grain dash inserts, 2 tone seats, stuff like that was available on all of them.

Im curious to know if the 1bbl Carter/Weber carb we all hate more than the Hitachi 2bbl was a feature on the DL only, or if it was an economy option or something...

Ive seen 81 Brats with both single and dual headlight setups that both had D/R, so just because the grille is a DL grill doesnt always mean the car is a DL, it must have just been an option. Ive heard that there was a 3rd eye available on the 80-81 Brats as well, IIRC I think Ive seen pics of one, but thats it. If it exists, its rare indeed.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive