Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat Belt Retract

Greetings Gentlemen-

90 Loyale, 260K going strong.

But I'm stuck on a problem with the driver's side seatbelt retractor.

The upper belt retractor stopped sliding back to the "belted" (driving) position. I used the allen wrench manual retractor located near the bottom of the B pillar, but the belt OPENS (in other words, it works) and slides the retractor back to the open position when the ignition is shut down. So I removed the trim and disconnected the electrical connector at the sliding latch device, thinking I could just disable it in the "driving" position (rearward), but it still automatically "opens" the sliding latch and sends it back to the "get out of the car" (forward) position when the ignition is shut down. I've done a search and haven't found a fix.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Bill90Loyale

I disconnected the motor that drives the thing on my Legacy. The passenger side belt started doing that and I haven't the time to mess with it. Without it's motor it can't move the slider anymore. Not a "fix" per-se, but it works for now.

GD

Thanks GD. Do you know where the motor for the driver's side retractor is located? There's an electrical connector under the trim at the device, which I disconnected thinking along the same lines you were, but the damned thing continues to automaically slide back to the forward position after I manually crank it to the rearward. So I haven't managed to disable the motor somehow. Hmmm....

Got it GD. As you suggested, I found the motor at the base of the B pillar behind the big trim, disconnected BOTH connecters (disconnecting only one still allowed the latch to move back to the forward position) and shut the motor down. Cranked the latch manually to the rear, using the allen key crank, and now the driver's side belts can both be manually engaged and disengaged and we can pass the next inspection.

Many many thanks.

Bill

Edited by Bill90Loyale