Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy Automatic Creaking Popping Noise Turning

When turning right and accelerating my car makes a creaking or popping noise. This is happening at stop light and signs when making right turns. If I make a sharp right hand turn at a faster rate of speed and do not accelerate I do not have any creaking or noise. Any ideas out there what it could be? Could this be a bad CV joint? I just noticed that my boot is cracked too.

Edited by LSS
missing info

Almost a guaranteed half shaft replacement. They usually cost around $70 and its a pretty quick job. Maybe 1-2 hours.

Same thought, good chance it is a bad half shaft. Check the rubber boots at both ends of the half shafts for tears in the rubber part. When that happens, over time dirt gets in the bearing to cause wear, resulting in the noise that you are hearing. When wear gets really bad, the joint will completely break down.

Also check the bushing at the rear of the front control arm. You can see this right behind the front tires just look up for the two big bolt holding this bushing to the bottom of the car, it will be encased in rubber if this rubber is broke and leaking grease then this will cause your car to pop when turning also.

Edited by tcspeer