Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone. I purchased a 1991 legacy 2.2L fwd about 4 months ago. When I first got it everything was perfect. Two days later though the check engine light came on when I turned on the car. Then the code eventually went off (soft code). But then it came back and never left. I tried to run a MODIS on it to find the issue but it wouldnt make a connection. Then I brought it to Pep Boys (a bad decision I know) and after 2 hours of them struggling with it they told me it was the oxygen sensor. I replaced and tried to clear the code but it was still there. After doing research I found out that if you plug the two wires under the dash together then it blinks in a code to tell you whats wrong. It is giving me two long blinks and one short one which I found out to be the water temperature sensor. I replaced both sensors, coolant, and the thermostat yet I still cant get rid of the code. Also the radiator fans are always on starting immediately when you put the car in the start position. Is there another temperature sensor I am missing? Please help because I haven't smogged the car and the DMV won't give me another extension. I no longer have a form of transportation. Thanks!

Also the radiator fans are always on starting immediately when you put the car in the start position.

so you found the black test connector under the dash. did you also find the green test connectors under there as well? the fans running as soon as you turn the key sounds like the green test connectors are hooked up when they should not be. they are only for the dealer to diagnose problems. look for them and undo them. i think it is a single wire connector. not to worry, if it isn't the right one you can always plug it back in.

kudos for doing the research and learning about reading the codes. you are way smarter than pep boys.

and welcome to the board. :banana:

The green test connectors are definitely not connected right now. Any other ideas?

ok, but when they are you will get fans running all the time and CELs for stuff that is really ok.

did you look at the wires / connectors for the temp sensors when you replaced them? corrosion or a bad connector maybe or a bad wire?

where did you get the new temp sensor.? who put it in?

Edited by johnceggleston

All the wires look good (no corrosion noticeable) but im not sure how the voltage is, thats why im asking for what the voltage should be going to them. I got the sensor from NAPA and I installed it. I work on cars all the time, but im new to Subarus.