Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Read this:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_basics/helpful_info.jsp?info-view=tech_equip

Looks like 2003 H6 Outbacks got analog OnStar equipment:

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum03_OnStar.htm

If you would like more specific information for OnStar-equipped vehicles manufactured by our other vehicle partners, please contact them directly.

The Customer Care phone numbers are listed below:

Acura 800-382-2238

Audi 800-822-2834

Isuzu 800-255-6727

Subaru 800-782-2783

Edited by Mike104

After an interminable period on hold, I just spoke with a Subaru customer service rep. The OnStar system is no longer functional or supported since the electronics were analog-only and not upgradeable to digital. If anyone with such a system in their car thinks otherwise, please let us know.

This has been an ongoing issue with Saab as well. The older analog OnStar systems are for the most part not upgradeable. They used to have kits that were used to replace the OnStar buttons with blank pop outs for people who wanted the system removed entirely. Apparently there were some issues with other functions of the cars on some years if the On Star system wasn't working properly, so Saab decided to offer a removal and re-programming service. All the switches, wiring, and electronics for the system were removed, and the pop outs put in the buttons place on the dash.

Trust me YOU do not want OnStar. I bought a 2009 Corvette and came standard with OnStar. You could not delete it as an option. Read very carefully their privacy statement. They data mine your car. Seat belt usage, miles driven, average speed, max speed.

After OnStar called me three times driving my Corvette asking if I had an accident I disabled the unit. Six weeks later I get a letter from OnStar to have my car check because they could not communicate with their unit.

Analog OnStar is no longer supported. If you visit their web site they mention this.

So OnStar can call if you have an accident, so can a lot of bystanders.

Here's much more... On Star terms & conditions

The privacy section....

33. YOUR PRIVACY.

Some of our key privacy practices are outlined in this section. For a complete description of our privacy practices, please refer to our Privacy Statement. We may update our Privacy Statement on the first day of a calendar quarter to reflect new services or changes to our business and will include the date of the last revision. We advise you to check for changes to the Privacy Statement periodically. You can access the current statement at www.onstar.com or you can contact us to request a copy.

You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to advise all occupants of your Car (including other drivers) how information about them may be collected, used, and disclosed by OnStar.

Really who here does this???

We may collect information about you and your Car in several different ways: from what you, your car dealer and car maker provide to us; from your use of the OnStar Services (see Section 34. YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH OnStar ADVISORS); from calls or emails between us; from OnStar web pages you visit; from our wireless Service Providers; from your satellite radio provider; from third party data providers; and from your Car itself when your OnStar Equipment is active.

The information we may get about you includes your contact and billing information (including your credit card number); vehicle purchase information, registration information and information that helps us customize our services.

The information we may get from your Car includes things such as: data about its operation; data about your use of the OnStar Services; the location of your Car; data about accidents involving your Car, including safety belt usage; and information about your use of the Car and its features. We may also approximate the speed of your Car based on GPS data to support a limited number of OnStar Services, such as Stolen Vehicle Assistance services, as further described in our Privacy Statement. We may collect information from your Car on a periodic or regular basis.

You agree that we can, subject to applicable law, use this information to: provide OnStar Services; manage your account or OnStar Services; conduct analysis and research; comply with legal requirements; prevent fraud or misuse of the OnStar service; protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others; send you important Car or OnStar Service related messages through the OnStar system in your Car; and offer you new or additional products or services.

You also agree that we can, subject to applicable law, share information about you and your Car with: 1) our Service Providers; and 2) the maker of your Car, its subsidiaries, affiliates, a successor or an assignee of a significant part of your Car maker's or OnStar's business; your Car dealer; our wireless Service Providers and your satellite radio provider for their business purposes. We may also share this information with others as may be required by law, or to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others. We may also share information about fleet cars with fleet companies and information about rental cars with rental companies.

ONSTAR WILL NOT SELL, RENT, OR OTHERWISE DISCLOSE INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOU OR YOUR CAR TO THIRD PARTIES FOR THEIR INDEPENDENT USE WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT.

Because OnStar provides service through wireless networks, we can’t promise that your communications won’t be intercepted by others. You agree we won’t be liable for any damages for any loss of privacy occurring in communication over such networks.

After an interminable period on hold, I just spoke with a Subaru customer service rep. The OnStar system is no longer functional or supported since the electronics were analog-only and not upgradeable to digital. If anyone with such a system in their car thinks otherwise, please let us know.

When I bought my '03 a bit over 3 years ago, I pushed the onstar button and actually got someone- and told them I hit it by accident.

I am not signed up for the service.

Dave

good way to pull a prank, call in someones car vin that has onstar and report the car stolen. They will disable the car and friend will be stuck wondering what happened. Maybe Toyota should to that for the runaway cars they have now. Big Brother does not belong in private owned cars. Fail to make a loan payment, they will shut the car off. I agree, you dont want it.

2003 was a transition year for Onstar. I had it in a 2002 Chevy and some of the vehicles could be upgraded to digital and some could not. Mine was on the "not" list but it was not broken down by model but by VIN.

I have had it before in a newer Chevy and liked it as a back up for places where my cell phone did not work.

As for the privacy issues about them being "big brother"...I would be more concerned about cell phones which can also be tracked via GPS and conversations are time stamped to see if they were occurring during accidents. Privacy advocates love to bash Onstar but never bother to read the fine print on their cell phone contracts. They should also read their car insurance contracts which are also driving this need for your personal information when driving.

I was not even aware that Subaru dabbled with Onstar and it would make sense that it is no longer supported in any Subaru.

good way to pull a prank, call in someones car vin that has onstar and report the car stolen. They will disable the car and friend will be stuck wondering what happened. Maybe Toyota should to that for the runaway cars they have now. Big Brother does not belong in private owned cars. Fail to make a loan payment, they will shut the car off. I agree, you dont want it.

I call BS. OnStar will not secure a car unless law enforcement gets involved. So unless you are a law enforcement officer this is not going to work.

OnStar sucks, but not this bad.

Trust me YOU do not want OnStar.

We may also share this information with others as may be required by law, or to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others. We may also share information about fleet cars with fleet companies and information about rental cars with rental companies.

Protecting the safety of you and others by informing the police you were speeding, where, and when, and for how long, and where to intercept you and issue the ticket.

No more taking the rental out for some harmless rough-roading on dotted roads in the southwest. Yeah, rent me a 4x4 blazer in Albuquerque NM, and say "don't take it off paved roads". Plus, they don't even have to send spotters to the drag strip, the car does the calling for you.