Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I live in Big Bear Lake, CA; 7000 feet, COLD winters.

Last November, the 4spd auto trans in my wife's outback started slipping a bit. I had a local garage change the fluid and filter. When I picked up the car, the trans would not shift out of first--even in manual mode.

Shop said to take it to the dealer as he could not diagnose.

When thoroughly warmed up for at least 5 minutes before moving, the car functions well. A bit of tranny slip for the first few shifts, then fine. If not warmed up, car is stuck in 1st gear.

Dealer says: Trans is shot, have to put in a new trans. Even though it has gone over 5000 miles since the problem started and, once warmed up, functions fine.

Garage now says the seals are dry and when they warm up they are fine. Solution: Put in a used trans.

Anyone have this problem before?

My 05 OBW acts a little funny til it warms up as well. Then its fine. I have been draining and adding fluid for some time. I am certainly going to drive it until it fails. Absolutely no need to do anything now, it doesn't cause me any problems at all. Drive it easy for the first few miles, then your good to go. YMMV

I live in Big Bear Lake, CA; 7000 feet, COLD winters.

Last November, the 4spd auto trans in my wife's outback started slipping a bit. I had a local garage change the fluid and filter. When I picked up the car, the trans would not shift out of first--even in manual mode.

Shop said to take it to the dealer as he could not diagnose.

Crappy filter or fluid or both.

Non-OE filter may have inadequate anti-drainback valves, so you may have only a partially primed pump until it's run a bit.

OR

Lower grade ATFs like a DEX-Merc or Merc III or type F won't do in these Phase II trans (99+)

Use Subaru fluid, or perhaps Toyota or Nissan premium type fluid.

At very least Autozone has an "Import" fluid in there house brand. Still Expensive but hey? what can ya do? Definately get a OE subaru spin on filter (if it has one? Some late models had a bypass cap only)

I'm with Gloyale - it's not statistically likely that the trans failed while sitting on their lot or during their 7 mile test drive, it shouldn't be worse when you pick it up. have the fluid and filter changed again. might not help at all, but why toss a trans that might be fixed for $100?

also - if it is seals you have one other option. the 99 model year has a bizarre delayed engagement issue due to a seal. folks have had excellent results fixing that with an additive to the fluid. there's an enormous thread with lots of success stories here that you can read, i've done it myself. i would certainly give that a try before ditching the trans.

A 2000+ Subaru trans having issues is odd. They don't fail very often, I would have no problems (and have done it) installing a used trans into the car. It's easy to find one from a wrecked car, so you know it's good. Nice thing is they're not that expensive if you shop around because demand is low (few issues).

Your biggest hurdle might be it being so new - that will drive price up and make it harder to find what years interchange.

Did a whole bunch of searches on here when I started drain and fills and thought the opinions were that even the cheap fluids were good to go. But maybe your right, cause the cold slip never occurred before I added the cheap fluids. Also if my memory serves, the manual recommends any DexIII fluid. Thanks much for the tips and don't mean to hijack the OP's thread.

Read this thread if you have the time.

There are so many people here who have claimed to fix forward engagement problems with this stuff and multiple fluid changes.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87708&highlight=transx

Also remember that the subaru is designed not to allow torque converter lock up until sometime after the car is warmed up.

Maybe you have a temp/sensor problem, is this possible?

Thanks for all the GREAT input guys! I bought a filter and fluid from the freaking Subi dealer in San Bernardino and I will change it this afternoon and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will try the additive. Because, I, too, see no reason that this tranny should fail. They are supposedly built for light off roading and should be somewhat heavy duty.

It is cold where I live. But not THAT cold, maybe the teens some mornings. Subies are built for that, too.