Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got home from a friends house. Upon leaving, I turned on the high beams but nothing happened???? No High Beams?? If I pull on the switch, they DO turn on, but not when I engage them forward to stay on. I also noticed that my dash gauge lights were on High like the bright switch is on. (whatever that button is called that turn the dash lights on bright?) When I hit that switch to turn them off, nothing happens??? I did polish and wax the exterior today and a quick wipe down of the interior, but nothing major.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking switch and if so, major deal? I Will be working in Capitol Heights, MD outside of DC and staying in College Park all week. Anyone recommend a RELIABLE mechanic in this area if repairs are over my head?

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. My search of the forums came up with 1 person last year having the same issue, but no resolution was posted.

Did you actually turn your lights on??

High beams will flash w/o lights being on...

oh yeah and then there is that pesky parking light switch on top of the steering column (use to be called the virgin switch because all of us Subaru "virgins" would unwittingly hit it during a "quick wipe down of the interior" and the exterior parking lights wouldn't go off) (also called the battery kill switch by Subaru technicians for the same reason as above... lights staying on and killing the friggin' battery)

Just reread your post... seems pretty likely it's the Virgin Switch and I hope you read this before you kill your battery tonight.

Edited by brus brother

You guys are great! I didn't have the lights on.:banghead: Those DRL's are as you said, just as bright as the headlights.

This is my 6th Sube, but my first with DRL's. Traded in my 95 Legacy about 2 months ago on this 05, so I am still learning this newer vehicle.

I went thru the parking light switch game years ago as most have, so I ruled that out early.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!!

you will have the option of keeping the DRL module enabled, or you can disable it to prevent this and other issues of keeping with it. With DRL module plugged in, you get decreased headlight bulb lifespan, issue of thinking you have lights on, when at night, but with DRL the tail-lights are not on, so this presents a traffic hazard of front lights on, back lights off, cars cannot see you that way from the back.

I would recommend to unplug the wire harness going to the DRL module, so you are safer and have longer headlight bulb lifespan.

if you need more info, pm me.

DRL would actually be safer if they lit the back tailights. if you think about why they have DRL, its so drivers spot your lights. but, WHY don't they mandate backlights/tailights as well.