Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel condition...

This is my first time replacing a clutch so I was just wondering what you guys can tell me about my flywheel... It looks like there are several hairline cracks extending radially outward from the center to about halfway up on the machined surface... Is this normal? or not?

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2036.jpg

DSCN2039.jpg

Yuck! That needs to be surfaced pronto. Don't install that without having it milled. Been overheated and it's definitely worn. Make sure the machine shop knows to machine both the disc and pp bolt surfaces and that they check that the step between the two is within spec when they are done.

If those cracks don't mill out - buy a new flywheel.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

wow lots of heat on that flywheel, you may want to look into a good used one, id hate to put money into milling it just to find out its junk .is somone riding the clutch ? maby using it as a foot rest ?, new driver?

Actually the driver is my girlfriends dad, I'm pretty sure he bought the car new in 87 but I might be wrong... I'm thinking that maybe it was out of adjustment, but I dunno.