Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I own a 93 subaru legacy, recently it has not been starting right. when i put the key in the ignition and turn it will just crank and sputter a few times. after i try several times i can get the car to start but if i press the gas it will sputter or die. If i let it idle a few minutes it will run just fine and i can shut it off and start it fine but if it sits for a while it will do it agian. Also the check engine light has been on constantly ever sense the first time it happened. any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Jeremy

Well, first you have to pull the codes. Do a search for pulling the codes, but basically you need to find the single pin black connector up under the drivers dash RH side. It may be tapped to the wiring if it's never been pulled down.

Pull the lower kick panel under the dash, it will make it much easier. Once you've found them connect them and turn the key on, you will get a flashing check engine light.

If you don't have a manual, its time to get one as it will explain how to pull the codes.

Let us know what you find.

okay i checked it, it displayed these codes in this order

I checked online and i believe these are the codes for the water temp sensor,

the air control valve, the starter switch and, all 4 of the injectors. please let me know if this is correct

thanks

Jeremy

no, i bought a harness online the plugged into the original harness in the car. I did one mod to it tho, the harness that came with the stereo had a ground wire that was supposed to be attached to a metal part of the car with a screw but i could not fine a place to attach it so i cut of the end and wired it to the original ground wire on the harness i bought. could that cause the problem, I thought about unplugging my stereo to see if the car would start better but i have not tried it yet.

Take the radio out and clear the codes and then see what comes back. The dash wiring uses a common ground for may of the components, including the engine computer.

Once the codes are cleared you will have to run the car through several driving cycles to see what codes come back.

well i unplugged my battery for a short while and removed my stereo, now the car is starting and every thing is working just fine. I will be sure to keep updates if any thing changes

Thanks alot for all the help

Jeremy