Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird thing happened with the 98 Outback today

Drove about 2 miles to the post office at lunch. Spent 20 minutes in there. Returned to the car but the Outback did not want to start. Cranked a second time and it lit up.

Then the idle went up to 2,800? Stayed there for about three minutes.

Been acting fine since then. Normal starts, normal idle?

WTF????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks, I was thinking that or a sticky throttle position sensor or throttle body. Have not worked on a EJ25 IAC, just the old EA82 ones.

I'm going to hook up my reader tomorrow and watch it. Took the wife to dinner and it did it going to and from the restaurant. She was laughing at me. I want to laugh back.

Was there a smell of raw gas at all? A common failure is the coolant temperature sensor. There is one physical piece that bolts into the coolant crossover pipe but it has two sensors in it. One for the dash gauge and one for the ECU. If the one for the ECU goes bad the ECU can think the engine is cold when it's really hot and it adds extra gas and can flood the engine. You can typically smell raw gas from the exhaust when this happens though.

Keith

Nice Job:banana::banana::banana:

BTW, what type of scanner did you use to read the engine coolant temp?

Hooked up my scanner, well sure enough after like three trips it finally went to -25F. Then 178F then -30F. Replaced the sensor, works well now.

Woo Hooo.:banana::banana::banana:

Innova 3130

Very nice scanners. I tried a 3160 for a few days but just didn't want to pony up the $$$$ that the Snap On rep wanted for it. :lol: Found one on Amazon for about half the price but just haven't had the money to get it now because of other projects.

could the idel air control have a afect on daly drivein... like the motor trying to limit at 2500 rpms
Probably not. That sounds more like a plugged cat or fuel starvation. Edited by Fairtax4me

All right, enough time has gone by I can tell this story. I went to put in the new sensor. but the wife was parked in the garage and as I figured out how to get to the sensor it started to rain. I forgot and left the new sensor on TOP of the throttle body. I drive to work the next day, still have the scanner hooked up and my throttle input is no more then 50% and the pedal is stiff.

QARGGGHHH I yell, not a throttle position sensor too!!!!

I park in the garage and lift the hood, mouth hits the floor as I see the new water temp sensor and it is preventing the throttle from moving more then 50% of travel....:eek:

I managed to get the new sensor in even though the car was still real warm.