Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Outback Crankshaft Bolt/Pulley

Alright, I tried to get the crankshaft bolt out to do a timing belt with no luck. I called it a day. I tried to hold the pulley with a belt wrench with no luck. Then I tried the ole' turn the engine over routine and I cracked my fan housing... :mad:

What I really really want, but have never seen, is a universal spanner wrench. Or a kit. The pulley has the holes in it for a spanner wrench tool. But I'd rather get something universal or at least something that has more use then just my Suby..

If you look halfway down the passenger side of the engine below the 3 large connectors near where it meets the tranny, there is an inspection hole (Mine is threaded for some reason). It is large enough to fit a medium sized philips head screwdriver through. Turn the crank until one of the holes in the flexplate lines up with that hole, then put the screwdriver in to hold the crank still. Works really well. You can remove the sparkplugs to release the compression before you start turning the engine over. Good luck.

Check out this website: http://beergarage.com/SubyTBelt.aspx

The first pic shows the hole.

Edit - I just realized you said '01. I know the hole is there on a phase 1 ej22 and ej25. I'm not 100% sure about a phase 2, but I would assume it would be in the same place.

Edited by BluetoE