Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got some new engine oil filters for my 2000 Leg. Denso brand. They're noticeably smaller than the oil filters used to be. I've used oem and Napa gold previously.

Do the smaller filters do as good a job at filtering as the older larger ones?

I have no idea on the technical differences between the filters, however, the larger filter should cross reference with Fram's PH3593

Subaru seems to have switched to the smaller filters starting around 2005 and the listings for older models in the filter guides now show the smaller filter as well.

Before trying other filters that aren't recommended in a filter guide, make sure that they have the same diameter O-ring to ensure a proper seal. Also be sure that the filter threads properly.

i believe a 1365 from napa is the small filter that i got doing an oil change onan 05 legacy. my 94 legacy calls for a 1334, which is the larger unit and should be backward compatible(hopefully)

for ea82's the filter calls for a 1361 in all the ea81 and ea81 motors. I have been using motorcraft(ford) fl1-a filters on my ea82. the application calls for 5.0 ford v8. this is a big filter. it will not fit on an ea81 because the crank cse gets in the way.

the fl1-a does not fit on ej motors because the tread is different. the fl1-a DOES fit on my 78 toyota 20r engine.

i have used them and been ok. i have heard of the filters leaking from other people that used them. the variable may be the installation itself, how tight, etc.

this goes along with the topic so i thought i would share my experience.

There is lots of discussion on the Internet about what is the "best" oil filter, almost as much as what is the "best" oil. Here is a link to a thread about Subaru OEM Oil filters here http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18231&highlight=filter

if you really want to get in to it here is another thread about Subaru filters at Bob is the Oil Guy: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1410171&gonew=1#UNREAD

Seems the main difference between the aftermarket oil filters and Subaru OE ones is the filter bypass value, the Subaru spec is 23 +/- psid. The aftermarket ones are lower. How important that is beyond by level of knowledge. Best thing is that we can each make our own choice on what oil and filter is best for our cars.