Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Impreza Outback Sport Transmission

I have a 99 Impreza Outback Sport with 4th gear slipping constantly. I've replaced the tranny oil and noticed quite a bit of fine shavings in it. I figure the tranny is nearly the end of it life =:dead:

Anyway, I need to know besides the exact year model, etc... but what other trannies can I replace my current one?

I replaced the tranny oil, not fluid. It's a 5mt.

About a year ago I did a valve job since the time belt broke and spit a couple of my #1 & #3 valves into the pistons. The bottom half was good, not much blow-by from the cylinder walls. 185k ... At that time I replaced everything I could think of while I had the engine out including a new ACT flywheel and clutch. I thought I'd be good for a few years :lol:

So now this problem with four gear not staying in and when it is in 4th it pops out. I've noticed that for all the other gears there seems to be a little "catch" especially if the clutch is not in but when I try to move into 4th with the clutch out I do not feel that "catch" I figure the syncro is shot for fourth but maybe it something else. Either way I pretty much figure the tranny is nearly toast and will need to replace it soon, hopefully I have another tranny to put in and schedule all of this, instead of having to tow it and look for a tranny.

I've read several places that I can replace my tranny with others and would like to get a few options/opinions...

Fluid.... oil.... same thing. ATF is Hydraulic Oil.... and gear oil. What's inside of an automatic tranny is *mostly* gears just like a manual - lots of manual transmissions run ATF these days in fact.

Being a manual - you could use just about any 5MT from about '95 to even present day stuff. Even the 90 to 94's will work if you fab up an exhaust hanger for them or swap your rear output section over. You might need a matching rear diff depending on what it comes from but that's usually a simple thing to source either from the same car or from a member here on the board. It's probably either 3.90 or 4.11 - count the ring gear teeth through the drain plug hole with a flashlight.

But it's likely that you don't need a tranmission at all - popping out of gear is usually a result of worn linkage on the 5MT's. It may indeed be internal - it's not the syncro's though. It would be one of the ball-detent spring's that holds the shift rod into proper location. Probably an easy fix if you open up the back of the tranny. They are pretty simple units.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Check to see if the transmission is 3.900 or 4.111 by comparing the number (on the engine vin plate or on the tranny bell housing). See the charts in the USRM for that information. As long as you have a matching diff, GD's comments about any gearbox will fit is correct.

There are 3 small plugs on the driver side of the trans. (10mm head)

remove the plugs one at a time, and pull the ball and spring out. ONE AT A TIME or the interlock pin will drop and it is a beaach to get back in there.

Clean out the holes, and reinstall. It may be that something is blocking the detents.

it could also be that the rear bearing on the upper shaft is shot. If so, the upper shaft could be walking backward when you try to hit forth. That means that the shiftrod can't get the collar to go over the synchro and and engage the gear.

Do you hear any grumbly grindy noises when rolling under light throttle?

Edited by Gloyale

So according to this exploded view where are these 3 plugs?

http://www.edwardsatterfield.com/car/images/1999_subaru_5sp_manual_transmission_exploded_view.jpg

ah. rear bearing sounds interesting... I do not have this problem at all with any other gear but 4th. I notice that the lower gears are "louder" than they use to be, actually I've notice it getting louder for a couple months.

I will check the "grumbly grindy noises" under light throttle and let you know.

thanX...

Those "grumbly grindy noises" I can relate to, though it's been so long since things have been "quiet" Everything seems louder and seem to be grinding.

So I have a TY754VA1AA tranny with a 3.900 rear, will other trannies with 3.900 rear gears work or will I have issues with the different drive shafts? I see on the tranny chart numerous 5sp mt with similar gear set-ups and the 3.900 rears. I figure yanking the tranny and replacing will be better than cracking open the tranny to find out what problems I really have... Maybe someone might want my used tranny... I'm sure there are plenty of parts

My gearing listed under the TY754VA1AA:

1st - 3.545 2nd - 1.947 3rd - 1.366 4th - 0.972 5th - 0.780

Which seems to better than some others

1st - 3.545 2nd - 2.111 3rd - 1.448 4th - 1.088 5th - 0.780

Though I would like something like:

1st - 3.636 2nd - 2.375 3rd - 1.761 4th - 1.346 5th - 0.971 6th - 0.756 :grin:

i have a 97 impreza wagon tranny 5 speed it will work in your ouback model i paid $550 for it, it only has 47k on it i have the papers from the yard i got it from i dont need it anymore make me an offer iam not sure how much shipping will cost for it tho