Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will the turbo from a gl-10 work with a wrx intercooler and custom up and down pipe

Any turbo will work of a fashion, it just depends whether it'll work well. The VF7 that the GL-10s run were quite small, so it'll spool fast, but will be difficult to make big boost. You'd be better off running a VF11 or something off an EJ20 RS Legacy.

First off, are you using this turbo on a N/A EJ22? Or a already turbocharged engine?

n/a ej22 thats why i wanted to use the gl-10 turbo only bossting like 7-8 psi iam getting a good deal on all this stuff i just wanna add a little bit of power to the very little 135hp it has now just wanna get it to like 165+hp i would just get an ej25 but thats more than iam spending i got:

WRX/STI Top mount/BOV: $30

GL-10 Turbo : $40

Custom up/down: $100 intstalled

n/a ej22 thats why i wanted to use the gl-10 turbo only bossting like 7-8 psi iam getting a good deal on all this stuff i just wanna add a little bit of power to the very little 135hp it has now just wanna get it to like 165+hp i would just get an ej25 but thats more than iam spending i got:

WRX/STI Top mount/BOV: $30

GL-10 Turbo : $40

Custom up/down: $100 intstalled

You'd be better off just buying an EJ22T engine, harness, and ECU and installing that. You are aware of the need for an aftermarket ECU when fitting a turbo to a N/A engine right? ECU's can run from $500 upwards, and require dyno tuning by a tuner. So set aside another $500 minimum.

We didn't get the EJ22T over here, but I hear they're an absolutely bulletproof engine. I'd just go down that route - or even buy an factory EJ22T-powered Lego. The N/A way, in my books, is more work then its worth.

Or, you could just stay with the mighty 135HP N/A EJ22 - Good engine, reasonable power, excellent reliability, great economy, and you can save all the money you'd no doubt be spending on problems with your EJ22+T to buy a nice performance vehicle - where's the problem??

This is the second "turbo my EJ22" thread in as many days. Search a bit. Then go over to the "N/A engines with bolt on forced induction" thread on NASIOC.com

Yes, it can be done.

No, you don't need a new computer.

Get the oil supply and return plug from an EJ22t, it will make it easier. It bolts into the back of the passenger side head.

• Like 1

here is what i have so far what else do i need

intercooler

just bought oem ej20 turbo

need a y-pipe

need to make my up and down pipe

need a oil feed to and from turbo

how do i tune or set boost for it???

You'll need a turbo crossmember if I remember correctly for the EJs, otherwise your up-pipe won't fit.

06-07 WRX TD04s supposedly have 5psi wastegates, also people have swapped out the stock wastegate actuator for a GL-10 one link

Have fun, I had a 93 Imp that I was going to turbo, I had everything for it including a Leg-T crossmember, up/down pipes, and Greddy eManage but ended up having to sell it when I got a killer deal on a RS and my gf wouldn't let me have 3 Subarus.