Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap, hard start after sitting

Mr. Brat

Motor is and is now my DD again. But seems that everytime the brat sits for a long period of time (all night or after work). It is hard to start. Can hear the fuel pump running and shuts off like its suppose to. Also every once and while it doesn't like to start back up after running (getting coffee). Any suggestions? I was thing maybe a vaccum problem, but everything else works just fine.

I would say no to the wire connected to the fuel circuit, being I dont remember hooking that one up. I will start there. I am guessing that gets hooked to the starter relay?

And yes I have tired and still do prime the pump (key on, crank, key off, and so on till it starts). Some days are better then others. This morning was a bit longer than normal. Hense the post this morning.

Thanks guys

Its been a couple years since my last EJ swap, but there was a wire that would "choke" the engine for starting purposes while cranking.... Enrich the fuel mixture or whatever.

I think that may be what were talking about up there ^^^^

...anyway, I found that I needed to have that wire UN-hooked for warm or hot starts. The engine would flood itself with it hooked up.

I disconnected it for the warm and hot starts and no more troubles!

Toggle switch FTW

Its been a couple years since my last EJ swap, but there was a wire that would "choke" the engine for starting purposes while cranking.... Enrich the fuel mixture or whatever.

I think that may be what were talking about up there ^^^^

...anyway, I found that I needed to have that wire UN-hooked for warm or hot starts. The engine would flood itself with it hooked up.

I disconnected it for the warm and hot starts and no more troubles!

Toggle switch FTW

that's....not normal. I wonder if you were having a problem with the coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

Just so the OP doesn't think he's crazy, my Brat has been doing something similar. It starts fine in the morning, but for example, when I try to start it after filling up at the gas station, it doesn't start easily. My ignition/ecu wire is hooked up, btw. You can really tell when you try to start it without.

Mr. Brat, if you find what it is, be sure to post. I'll do the same:-)

Jacob

So I hooked up pin 10 of connetor B56 to the start circuit (10-14 volts when starting only). Left the brat in the shop all night, started it this morning and it started right up just fine. From what I can tell it fixed it, I will park it outside tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

So I hooked up pin 10 of connetor B56 to the start circuit (10-14 volts when starting only). Left the brat in the shop all night, started it this morning and it started right up just fine. From what I can tell it fixed it, I will park it outside tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

How are your starts after stopping for just a few minutes? Mine starts fine every morning, but when I go to the gas station or get coffee or something, it takes a long time to start up when I get back.

Jacob

How are your starts after stopping for just a few minutes? Mine starts fine every morning, but when I go to the gas station or get coffee or something, it takes a long time to start up when I get back.

Jacob

check your coolant temp sensor. maybe the ECU is thinking the engine is cold.

Reno- Any luck with getting your problem figured out?

I had to replace the throw out bearing, so the Brat's been on jackstands for a week. I'll be driving it at least 600 miles this weekend, so I'll have a better idea then. Maybe I can actually get out the voltmeter when it's not starting and see what the CTS is doing.

Jacob

just so you know renob, (lol) cts on phase 1 ej22s are very common to fail. in fact, i own a 92 turbo legacy and im on the legacy central forum, and most issues with ej22s and ej22t's are the ect sensor. I also had to replace mine in fact. I suggest you get an oem one, but anything works.

just so you know renob, (lol) cts on phase 1 ej22s are very common to fail. in fact, i own a 92 turbo legacy and im on the legacy central forum, and most issues with ej22s and ej22t's are the ect sensor. I also had to replace mine in fact. I suggest you get an oem one, but anything works.

Yeah, I read a bunch of stuff in the New Gen forum here about it, and since it's the cheapest fix, I'll take a shot at it.

I try to search legacycentral sometimes, but its search system and I don't get along. I'm pretty good at searching for stuff, but that thing seems to return threads that don't have my keywords in it:confused:

Jacob