Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

they dont know it yet but that starter is gonna blow the lid off the 2JZ crowd in a little bit, I been struggling with the starter arriangement for the GM tran /2JZ engine and the Sub starter is the key to building a good cheap adapter

well we're glad we could bring you into our warp misunderstood world of subarus and at least help you with your starter dilemma. :grin:

i know you probably wont ever get into them, but it's once you do your hooked. i have yet to really find something that is really that difficult to do on them. and everything damn near fits everything everything else. at least when it comes down to the mechanical bits.

my 93 impreza wagon is a combo of parts from about 8 different cars spanning from 1990-2004, everything from a simple legacy to a STI. it's beautiful how everything fit together. i think subaru just went with, if it's not broke, why change it. and i'm glad they did.

For everyone that may want one (like myself) what does this part cost IF you are still producing them.

read back a few pages.he IS producing them right now.

it has been said that Mellow gets the first one of course.I am in line for the second one.cheers, b

For everyone that may want one (like myself) what does this part cost IF you are still producing them.

I am placing the starter now,the casting was tall enough but when machining the starter hieght it proved to be too short to use in a second casting, so I had to raise the starter deck and resize the starter hole, I had too larger of a starter pocket so it had to be changed

I sold some other housings I had in stock and had to machine them out so I been a little late with all the work

well, to recap how this all works, I re used the original Subaru pilot bearing with a Toyota disc and the original Subaru flywheel

subtoyadaptor201.jpgsubtoyadaptor202.jpgsubtoyadaptor203.jpg

now just as a reminder the W series includes the 2wd w55 through 59 model and the W series 4WD trans model, they are the same bolt up I re used the original Subaru pivot ball

subtoyadaptor204.jpgsubtoyadaptor205.jpgsubtoyadaptor206.jpg

then I built the throw out bearing holder and matched a Nissian throw out bearing to the Sub pressure plate and I re used the original Subaro clutch fork

subtoyadaptor207.jpgsubtoyadaptor208.jpgsubtoyadaptor209.jpg

then I added a treaded insert in the lower starter bolt hole so it can either be used or drilled out to be used with the 8 bolt Subaru engine, I re used the original Subaru starter I also re used the original Subaru slave cylinder and push rod in its original location

subtoyadaptor210.jpgsubtoyadaptor212.jpgsubtoyadaptor213.jpg

and here is the first fully operational W series bellhousing with all the T 's crossed and all the I's dotted, its perfect >;o)

subtoyadaptor214.jpg

Edited by bill hincher

well, to recap how this all works, I re used the original Subaru pilot bearing with a Toyota disc and the original Subaru flywheel

subtoyadaptor201.jpgsubtoyadaptor202.jpgsubtoyadaptor203.jpg

now just as a reminder the W series includes the 2wd w55 through 59 model and the W series 4WD trans model, they are the same bolt up I re used the original Subaru pivot ball

subtoyadaptor204.jpgsubtoyadaptor205.jpgsubtoyadaptor206.jpg

then I built the throw out bearing holder and matched a Nissian throw out bearing to the Sub pressure plate and I re used the original Subaro clutch fork

subtoyadaptor207.jpgsubtoyadaptor208.jpgsubtoyadaptor209.jpg

then I added a treaded insert in the lower starter bolt hole so it can either be used or drilled out to be used with the 8 bolt Subaru engine, I re used the original Subaru starter I also re used the original Subaru slave cylinder and push rod in its original location

subtoyadaptor210.jpgsubtoyadaptor212.jpgsubtoyadaptor213.jpg

and here is the first fully operational W series bellhousing with all the T 's crossed and all the I's dotted, its perfect >;o)

subtoyadaptor214.jpg

:slobber::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

when you are set up please let me know i fly to kuwait tomorrow and wont be able to check in all the time

wish I could go with you, I was in st petersburg Russia when the wall came down .;o) ( true story) all I can do is keep updating my posts and you can watch me here

• Like 1

if you have a secret clearance and mechanic skills/experience with the maxpro series you can...

im in kuwait and im waiting anxiously i talked to a fab shop and im gettin the legacy 4-linked.. i need that adapter so he can fab up the tranny mounts :grin:

this applies to all the toyota transmissions, this just happens to be an r 154 but it will work on the w series just as easy that long rod with the finger at the end of it is the key to building the remote shifter that is low enough to fit under the trans tunnel and move the shifter back as far as i wanted

remoteshifter.jpg

you can see here how the finger fits in the three shiftshafts to move the r 154 through all the different gear selections

remoteshifter13.jpg

at the other end of the shaft away from the finger end i built this recepter at an angle in an attempt to keep the shaft low, i built this as a starter project, i will take the numbers i found here and continue to lower it further

i built a couple pillar blocks and found the correct numbers to build the shift ratio for the sideways motion in the shifter, it was about 72%

remoteshifter33.jpgremoteshifter35.jpg

i cut away the rear housing so i could see the shift motion in all gears, it shift as smooth as silk >;o)

remoteshifter28.jpg

I can place your shifter anywhere you want it

Be carefull in Kuwait, they dont like us much

I get that feeling often.. They are nuts here i wish i could carry my pistol here:rolleyes:

So the t case will be compensated too? you can make both match the subarus stock hole?

pretty much what he is building there is a way of relocating the shifter point on a 2wd, which should work with a 4x4 tranny, but wont take care of the transfer case.

there will be some work needed to be done on the side of the installer. if Bill was to give us 100% bolt in everything this thing probably would cost 10 times as much and the guy would never have a life because there would be so many different combos to figure out.

here's a side by side of a w58 and a subaru tranny with the input shafts lined up as good as i could do it.

i'm going to assume that the 4x4 and the 2wds tranny shifter is at about the same location.

or if bill would maybe throw a tape measure on the trans with the bell housing for a "from the back of the motor to shifter" measurement.

47ff5433.jpg

57df2bc3.jpg

how about this. i remembered seeing a pic with a T on it, so i counted, made some marks, and took a guess.

it's not exact, but it's in the ball park.

front of bell housing to trans shifter: 17"

front of bell housing to transfer case shifter: 22.75"

those are big ishes.

measurements.jpg