Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so, got this legacy outback 2.5ltr.....

needs headgaskets...........

rip off passenger head, all good.....thinking to myself, this doesnt seem right....

rip off driver side head:

both cams are completely shot, something mustve gotten inside the runners......

well, upon close investigation:

it would appear someone put sand in the oil filler tube!!!!!!!!!!!

so, both heads are off, one needs replacement for sure. tomorrow im dropping the oil pan.......im a scared little man :grin:

ahhh 92 dollar outback with a MINT chassis......how I LOVE YOU!

makes sense that the car ran great, and when the PO got out for 2 hours, and got back in it died on him after 3 miles.

You may want to check out the fuel system. Who knows what crap may have been added to the gas tank. To have opened the hood to add sand, would have required getting inside the car to pull the hood release. At the same time, the gas tank flap could have been released. It doesn't require much imagination to think that someone could have tainted the fuel as well. So, I would replace the fuel filter just to be on the safe side.

Considering all the work at hand, it may be worthwhile to swap in a 2.2 motor.

I'm going to say that replacing the entire engine with a secondhand one is the way to go here. In addition to the sand, you'll have had all the metal wiped off the cam lobes circulating through the engine. I bet that the oil filter weighs about 5lbs!

Of course, if you have more time than money, you might get lucky with heads, an oil pump and flushing the heck out of the engine....

Nathan

my dad( partner in flipping this car) seems to think we can rebuild for cheaper then buying a used motor.

i would replace rather than rebuild, but i've never cracked a subaru block so i don't really know. i have done the 2.2L swap and that's what i'd look for in a replacement engine.

95 auto 2.2L engine would be your ideal swap engine.

96 same would be next, you would also need the y-pipe for the exhaust.

97 - 98 would be next, needs the y-pipe.

they drop in, do the timing belt and stuff, drive it for 100k.

my dad( partner in flipping this car) seems to think we can rebuild for cheaper then buying a used motor.

i on the other, disagree.

Hmmm. I think it's around $1000 for a used 2.5 motor out here (if you buy it from the subaru recycling yard, already taken out of a wrecked car and ready to swap in, with a fairly known history -- probably could go cheaper). Vs... how much to rebuild it? Not to mention the increased time involved.... I'd swap the engine.

Hmmm. I think it's around $1000 for a used 2.5 motor out here (if you buy it from the subaru recycling yard, already taken out of a wrecked car and ready to swap in, with a fairly known history -- probably could go cheaper). Vs... how much to rebuild it? Not to mention the increased time involved.... I'd swap the engine.

if you swap in a 2.5L engine you run the risk of bad head gaskets right off, and certainly down the road. not a big deal if you get a warranty and sell it.