Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So first off the horn is not working. I'm not getting juice to the horn, nor any juice inside the steering wheel by the spring mechanism. I check the fuse, and relay but both are fine. The horn is new and loud. I looked at the wiring but did see anything grounding out or burnt.

The only thing I can figure is perhaps (don't know the name of this part #3) is bad?

steering_column.jpg

Ideas?

Might be the clock spring.

Assuming you have a VOM?

Remove the two screws from the rear of the steering wheel and pull off the airbag cover to expose the horn button mechanism. Check for voltage and proper ground there. Then find the power and ground wires for the horn on the opposite side of the clockspring (in the steering column or under the dash) and check those. If you get voltage before the clockspring, but none after the clockspring is bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is the clock spring... got juice under the dash but nothing under the airbag.

If I order a new clock spring does it come with the plugs and wires attached to the clock spring? It looks like the side facing the steering wheel does not come apart easily and the one on the back side of the clock spring looks like it doesn't come apart either since there is neither has any "clip" like most other connectors.

Yes, it is the clock spring... got juice under the dash but nothing under the airbag.

If I order a new clock spring does it come with the plugs and wires attached to the clock spring? It looks like the side facing the steering wheel does not come apart easily and the one on the back side of the clock spring looks like it doesn't come apart either since there is neither has any "clip" like most other connectors.

Can't say for sure what it comes with. But any wires that come out of the unit should be on the new one. Generally they're soldered to a PCB that has a ribbon tape that warps around inside the unit. It's not really a spring, nor a clock. :rolleyes:

After doing some digging... I think I'd get a junkyard unit if I were you.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I believe there is a horn relay under the driver side of the dash above the fuse panel. Mine was bad and same problem. Replaced it and presto.......horn!

Todd

There might be a relay there but I've got juice all the way up to the back of the clock spring and nothing past the clock spring so I have to conclude the clock spring is faulty...

Can't say for sure what it comes with. But any wires that come out of the unit should be on the new one. Generally they're soldered to a PCB that has a ribbon tape that warps around inside the unit. It's not really a spring, nor a clock. :rolleyes:

After doing some digging... I think I'd get a junkyard unit if I were you.

JUNKYARD - EBAY - or even HERE since at $200 that is CRAZY :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hmmm... so if the clock spirng only does so many revolutions? hmmm...

Since mine is already bad I guess taking it apart will not hurt :grin:

I had a old Datsun (70's) where the steering wheel had round disk with copper rings around it and there where contacts with springs behind them which made the contacts.

thanX, but it is definitely the clock spring or "steering roll connector" since after taking it apart I see mine has "sprung"

The main thing I was try to fix was the horn, now I also see why the horn was not working, the cruise control, and I figure the airbag would not work either, at least I have seatbelts.

thanX, but it is definitely the clock spring or "steering roll connector" since after taking it apart I see mine has "sprung"

The main thing I was try to fix was the horn, now I also see why the horn was not working, the cruise control, and I figure the airbag would not work either, at least I have seatbelts.

No cruise either? Steering wheel mounted controls... hmmm :rolleyes:

If the SRS light isn't on then the airbag probably does work. The airbag module looks for resistance on the circuit each time the ignition is turned on. If it doesn't see the reading it is looking for it will sense the break and set a code then turn on the light to tell you there is a problem.

So what does this one look like inside?

Hmmm... so if the clock spirng only does so many revolutions? hmmm...

Yeah new ones of that style usually come with a lock tab to hold it in place until you install it. And if you have the wheel off center by a turn you can screw up the brand new one just by turning out of the driveway. Bad way to spend an afternoon and $200+. :eek: