Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Lift Kit Differences

ettev

4".........3"............4/3. Pros and cons? What does the 4/3 do for you that a straight 3 or 4 doesn't? Ready to do a '84 GL wagon and am looking at a 4/3. I already have a set of 14" steel pug's and 28" Swampers for this project so I want to get the proper kit to best utilize them.

A 4"/3" will act to level the car out. I believe you are talking about a 4" front kit, and a 3" rear kit. Most of the time it's done to make the front sit level with the rear, as most EA81 cars have a bit of rake to them in stock form. The ea81 rear suspension can also be adjusted with the torsion bar, so, you don't necessarily need 4" lift in the rear.

However, I've also heard of some people doing 4" blocks on motor crossmembers, and only 3" on trans crossmembers as a sort of "high clearance" lift. I think a few of these are being sold, so you may want to research if that's what is meant in the kit you are looking at.

My preference is to drop everything on the car the EXACT SAME AMMOUNT. That way all the angles are the same as stock, only X" lower. The EA81s are already kinda persnickety about being lifted. So, mixing a bunch of different blocks together here, and there is going to change things like driveline angle, CV axle angle, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me for the very little benefit you may get.

So, research what exactly is meant by the 4/3 you are looking at, because it CAN mean a few different things.

Most of the time it's done to make the front sit level with the rear, as most EA81 cars have a bit of rake to them in stock form. The ea81 rear suspension can also be adjusted with the torsion bar, so, you don't necessarily need 4" lift in the rear.

I put a straight 4" lift on my '85 Brat. In conjunction I also cranked the torsion bar for a bit more rear and I also ran the front strut adjusters all the way up for additional front lift. Camber from hell, but the tires don't seem to be wearing irregularly or faster than usual. 80% highway use to 20% fishing trail offroads use for the Brat. The new project will be my kids main ride. He's 17 years old so I'm guessing it will be closer to a 50/50 split road/trails. I see a lot of people running the 4/3 lifts but just don't really understand the benefits or what exactly they are for that matter.

Edited by ettev

Shorter blocks at the trans crossmember is a good idea. It doesn't hurt anything. It does angle the exaust up a little so it doesn't hang so low and look so funny.

I thought that one up before I wrote the FAQ. ;) I also came up with the idea to use an extra 1 inch block at the motor crossmember to give level out the camber. Works too.

I can have an ea81 lifted in about 4 hours in my garage. They are very easy to lift. I think I've lifted 19 ea81s.

Edited by Zap

I put a straight 4" lift on my '85 Brat. In conjunction I also cranked the torsion bar for a bit more rear and I also ran the front strut adjusters all the way up for additional front lift. Camber from hell, but the tires don't seem to be wearing irregularly or faster than usual. 80% highway use to 20% fishing trail offroads use for the Brat. The new project will be my kids main ride. He's 17 years old so I'm guessing it will be closer to a 50/50 split road/trails. I see a lot of people running the 4/3 lifts but just don't really understand the benefits or what exactly they are for that matter.
Any pics of your setup. Anything you would have done different?

Shorter blocks at the trans crossmember is a good idea. It doesn't hurt anything. It does angle the exaust up a little so it doesn't hang so low and look so funny.

I thought that one up before I wrote the FAQ. ;) I also came up with the idea to use an extra 1 inch block at the motor crossmember to give level out the camber. Works too.

I can have an ea81 lifted in about 4 hours in my garage. They are very easy to lift. I think I've lifted 19 ea81s.

extra inch at the motor over what the strut blocks are? Why was your camber out of wack.

I'm about to be lifting my 86 brat. I was thinking of 4 front, 3 rear.

Any pics of your setup. Anything you would have done different?

I'd have had someone make me adapters for the mounts in order to use EA82 shocks on the rear end instead of the longer Rancho's.

Mine just seems too soft for my liking with the Ranchos, even with the torsion bar cranked all the way up. People have posted that running the EA82 rear coil overs helps with that. For how I use this thing I'd rather have the stiffer ride.