Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Everything was going well until 3 weeks ago. Engine overheated checked and found low coolant level, topped it off, temp back to normal, drove home. Inspected and found drips from water pump. Replaced water pump, thermostat, and timing belt.

Good for 2 days then same issue, low coolant, overheating. replaced rad cap, then found crack in rad tank. Got brand new radiator.

Good for 2 more days, same thing, found hole in top rad hose. Replaced and tried again.

Next day drove about 10 miles, hot again. Pressure tested system. Results were no leaking for about 2 minutes under pressure (14 lbs).

Coolant still disappears and I can't find a leak anywhere. Now, I'm thinking the dreaded blown head gasket. No water in the oil or white smoke or any of the other normal symptoms.

I've read about a hydrocarbon test for coolant but am clueless about what the official term for it is to search for. This is beginning to cut into my nap time.

What say ye?

sounds like you burped it right, but i'd do it twice just to make sure.

multiple overheats? was it limped home, shut off immediately when running hot, coolant added, run hot for a couple times before being fixed?

if any of that is the case then it sounds like the 20 year old headgaskets took a beating and are returning the favor.

personally i'd just keep adding coolant and make sure it's not leaking somewhere simple. heater core hose, heater core, bypass hoses...?? nice to make sure before concluding the worst.

When you start out with a cold engine, are you able to drive about 4 miles, then the temp needle abruptly goes from normal to high in a hurry? If so, then I am thinking head gasket trouble.

I went through the same sequence as you with new radiator, cap, and some hoses, but still would "sky" the temp gauge in no time. This was on a 91 Subie with the 2.2 motor like yours.

When starting to over heat, look for bubbles in the over flow tank.

sounds like you burped it right, but i'd do it twice just to make sure.

multiple overheats? was it limped home, shut off immediately when running hot, coolant added, run hot for a couple times before being fixed?

if any of that is the case then it sounds like the 20 year old headgaskets took a beating and are returning the favor.

personally i'd just keep adding coolant and make sure it's not leaking somewhere simple. heater core hose, heater core, bypass hoses...?? nice to make sure before concluding the worst.

I ran a flush thru and filled up with straight water. I then drove around with the thermostat out, drained off a sample of radiator juice into a clean jar and gave it the smell test. I got a second opinion from my daughter, smells like exhaust. So, as they used to say in France " Off with her heads."

I've read about a hydrocarbon test for coolant but am clueless about what the official term for it is to search for. This is beginning to cut into my nap time.

It's labeled as a Block Test Kit at Napa. I think it costs something like $45-50 now though. :eek: I swear it used to be less than half that.

I think Autozone carries a kit as well but you have to buy the fluid separate. The one at Napa comes with everything.

It's labeled as a Block Test Kit at Napa. I think it costs something like $45-50 now though. :eek: I swear it used to be less than half that.

I think Autozone carries a kit as well but you have to buy the fluid separate. The one at Napa comes with everything.

it is manufactured by a different company, search "block chek" (no second c in chek). they market to distributors, and maybe shops, but apparently not individuals. no pricing on the website. but they do show the products and instructions on how to use.

you load the "tube" with the test liquid, place it in the mouth of the radiator and let the exhaust gases in the coolant push up into the tube. if it turns to yellow? you have a head gasket leak.

replacement test liquid available.

i liked someone's idea acouple of years ago. put a cabon monoxide detector in a ziplock bag and tape the bag over the mouth of the radiator. run the car at idle and wait. it worked!!!!