Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hub torque spec?

What should the four bolts on the hub be torqued to for an 87 gl-10? I can't seem to find it in the Haynes manual..

The haynes manual isnt so great when it comes to torque specs they had almost triple the correct value for the flywheel and pp bolts :mad:

Edited by infared067

It's not that important. If you must use a torque value then use a standard torque value for the thread size:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts/M_bolts.html

It's probably a regular 8mm 8.8 bolt so 17 Ft/lbs would be about right.

But again - it's not important to torque those.

GD

Are you sure? When I took em off it seemed much more than 17... It seems pretty important to me, because the wheel is mounted on the hub and the hub is connected to the disk by those four bolts. If they weren't tightened properly it seems like the wheel could come off during operation.

The wheel will not come off - it's held on by the axle nut. The only thing those bolts hold is the disc.

You can't judge the torque based on removal. There could be corrosion, the last person made them tighter than spec, etc. Too many variables.

Irregardless - I do this every day and I can tell you that "tight" with a 3/8" ratchet is just fine.

What you fail to realize is that the bolt and lock-washer combo will hold without loosening through a much wider range of torque values than you suspect. You could torque it to 2 Ft/lbs, or right up till the steel in the bolt was about to yeild (40 Ft/lbs or more probably). It would hold fast without loosening through that entire range. If this were a rotating assembly with the bolt on the *axis* of rotation then a specific torque value would be a good idea.

But in this case you are over-thinking the whole business. Just make it tight.

I commend your thoroughness and desire to do the job right - but it's time to get some perspective. That is not a critical fastener and it just isn't important that it be torqued to a very accurate value. As my old boss used to say "quarter-turn before it breaks." :rolleyes:

Besides that - the chart I linked to for you is the same reference the engineers are going to use in writing the manual - if they bother listing the value for that fastener - many fasteners are not listed and it's expected that mechanics are familiar enough with wrenching to not need them. Going by the thread size/lead and the bolt grade are perfectly valid on things like this.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder