Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yeah this headgasket can easily (relative word there) be done in the car. the gasket job itself is much simpler out of the car but the added process of removal is a headache for some. so take your pick. if you got a bad back, pull the motor. !:lol:

first my back is bad;

problem. one bolt is 0.5 to 1 cm to long to clear engine block. inner lower bolt

maarten

pull the bolt out as far as it will go, then slide the head out the same way. then lift both up.

the bolt is too long to clear the head, but not too long to clear the block.

pull the bolt out as far as it will go, then slide the head out the same way. then lift both up.

the bolt is too long to clear the head, but not too long to clear the block.

have done that. When I pull out the bolt it as far as I can, it is inside the block by 0.5 to 1.0 cm

regards

maarten

Then undo the dogbone on the top, and your motor mount bolts (You most likely have everything else unhitched that would get in your way, but check first) and jack up the motor so you can clear the frame rails with the head bolt.

have done that. When I pull out the bolt it as far as I can, it is inside the block by 0.5 to 1.0 cm

regards

maarten

it should come off if you tilt the head up a little bit, allowing a little extra clearance to the fender well as it is slanted away from the engine as it goes upward.

I just did this myself a few weeks ago.

Next time I will pull the engine. Yes I have a bad back (worse now) too. Helps to have a 16 year old around