Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy 5mt ~160k. Car idles fine. lifting the revs to about 1k one begins to hear a rhythmic clacking/knocking. Noise is not audible with the driver door open. Close the door you hear it. Listening from underhood noise seems to be center to rear. Sounds like half the engine isn't getting any oil. Now the driveability issues. Car stumbles under heavy load below 2700 in any gear though it is more noticeable 1,2,3. Once it nears 3k it accelerates as per normal.

Will check the timing on monday. I've only had the car since 110k with no maintenance records from previous owner. Suggestions? tia.

I changed the oil recently. I suppose new plugs n' wires are in order. Air filter is probably a good idea too this one has been through one too many dust storms. I just noticed oil seeping out around the knock sensor. I think...the knock sensor is front left next to the ej22 stamp? Doesn't seem like oil should be leaking out of there.

I just noticed oil seeping out around the knock sensor. I think...the knock sensor is front left next to the ej22 stamp? Doesn't seem like oil should be leaking out of there.

that's not the knock sensor, i don't think. it's in the back near the throttle body. it could be the oil pressure sender, maybe.

has it been sitting for a while or anything?

i would make sure all plugs, wires, etc is good first.

then run the car a little if its been sitting to make sure the HLAs are pumped up. if you still have problems its something else. something i have no idea what it would be :confused:

other than a sensor maybe i dunno