Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Type RX LSD in Impreza makes clicking noise

ShawnW

I just got done swapping in an LSD from an 85 RX Sedan with 104K on it into my Impreza. I used the RX external stubs and Legacy rear axles from a 91 Turbo. Everything fit as I figured it would. It makes a weird clicking noise when I roll down the road in gear or out.

I used Synthetic 75W90 gear oil and a bottle of BG LSD additive. This has been fine in the past on old gen LSD conversions.

Ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I did do the disc brakes and rear struts at the same time as the LSD swap but don't think thats necessarily the problem.

could you get it spinning in the air and see if it makes noise you can track with a stethoscope? being unloaded it might not make any noise though. if it's diff related you might narrow it down to bearing surface or internals.

i assume you drove this car before all this swapping and no noises?

They were easy to get on felt like they belonged on it. My buddy Max runs a similar setup in his rallyx car but his car is too noisy to notice if the diff makes this noise.

The only thing I found odd during the installation was turning the rear wheels seemed a little difficult by hand after all was together.

Shawn.

Can you maybe pop off each rear axle and spin each tire to see if the noise is coming from the hub/tire side, then with both axles popped off, spin the driveshaft which should spin the guts of the diff....to narrow down the noise if you havent done so.

if the noise a click click click, or a pop pop pop....and in the diff without axles connected....you may have done this test.

At very slow speed you can't hear it it just gets a little noisy around 10-15 mph Im not sure you would be able to hear it from under the car at all. I have driven it on jack stands thru the gears and can't hear anything but I have the exhaust, engine, etc to contend with.

There's been some problems with the lip on the rear backing plate interfering with the groove on the rotor hat and making noises like that. You may have moved something enough when you were installing the diff to cause problems mabe?

x2 worth looking into, but every time that´s happened to me, it´s more of a scraping sound than a clicking sound