Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was wondering if someone would be willing to confirm my identification of parts in the exhaust system of my wife's '98 OBW.

I'm looking for the part which connects the output of the catalytic converter to the muffler... the longest pipe section under there.

Is that called the "center pipe" in Subaru speak?

Nathan

Minor changes through the years it seems.

Basically the Y pipe (some early 90's had the car right at the Y.

Then the 2 cats cats.

Then a spring/flange kinda joint that takes a donut teasket. Prone to leaking, rusted flanges. Flexes when someone drops the Ypipe at the heads.

Then a short section of pipe followed by the resignator, followed by a longer pipe (6' + or so is a guess) minor bend, bend for axle.

Then the muffler.

I'm talking 95-99 Legacies mostly.

Dave,

I'm wondering if you're talking an aftermarket exhaust, which sometimes comes in more pieces than OEM?

On the '98 OBW, there's definitely only two pieces after the final cat... the long resonator (center pipe?) section and the muffler.

I like Honda's exhaust ID system: closest part to the engine is called the "A" pipe, the next piece is the "B" pipe and so on....

Nathan

It sounds like the resonator was eliminated from this car at some time previously. If the '98 is basically the same as my '99, it goes front cat, rear cat (containing the downstream O2 sensor), resonator, and pipe to muffler. If so, the pipe doesn't have a name specifically.

I have to do some mods to my exhaust. The rear flange for the rear cat has rotted though the front cat flange is intact. I welded it temporarily to the pipe to the resonator which is going also to buy some time. I'm likely going to eliminate the resonator also.