Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to figure out what to do.

Well, I have a 1999 Subaru Outback auto with 166,000 miles and a 48,000 mile CCR rebuilt engine in it. It's got bunches of little dents and some rust in the usual spots. The drivers door is dented in from where it was hit by a tire and hits the quarter panel when you open it, the rocker panel is dented from the same tire and has some rust forming where the paint was taken off by the impact. Now, the big problem, it has rod knock. Getting the car fixed will cost more than it is worth, and I don't have time to fix it myself. Do I junk it? Sell it for parts? I need some ideas here, I would like to get a little back out of it. It also has a set of Nokian WR (not the GR2's) that I spent months tracking down and have ~7k miles on them. I have bought a civic to hold me over until I can find something to replace it (don't want to drive the civic during the winter).

As far as replacement goes, I was thinking a 2003 OBS with a 5 speed (if I can find one). Would the tires swap between the two cars?

the wheels will definitely swap, tires will if they're both the same diameter.

i guess it's not still under warranty? an EJ22 swap can be done cheap and give you some more miles if you're interested in that.

are you absolutely sure it's rod knock? maybe it's piston slap or something else? i'd make sure before writing it off, piston slap is very common Ej25's.

the wheels will definitely swap, tires will if they're both the same diameter.

i guess it's not still under warranty? an EJ22 swap can be done cheap and give you some more miles if you're interested in that.

are you absolutely sure it's rod knock? maybe it's piston slap or something else? i'd make sure before writing it off, piston slap is very common Ej25's.

Piston slap is what I hear with cold starts I know that sound. This isn't that.

Here is what it is doing (it is quieter when cold with thick oil.)

And if it isn't rod knock it is still a disassemble the engine sound.

I could do a 2.2 swap, but I need to find the time to do that. Will it just drop right in?

Edited by x_25

It has 48,000 miles on it. The car was my fathers when we put the engine in so he is the one that bought it. I haved asked him to call but he hasn't done so yet. When he got it the warenty was 3 years or 36,000 miles.

And yes, we kept up on all maintinace on this car, I just think it is cursed. This is the third time it needs and engine out repair in the last 60,000 miles.

Edited by x_25