Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just started with an idea after seeing TheLoyale's lifted Loyale wagon at a recent car show, and seeing how I'm moving out of the city, and into the "country", it makes sense.

Having a lowered Legacy wagon is nice and all ('05 WRX struts with Hotchkis springs), but a lot less practical than a lifted one, especially come winter.

I've done a little research and will be going the cheap route with used '04+ Forester struts. Not sure yet what wheels (Forester steelies?) and tires I will run.

Looking for any help anyone can throw my way, like links and whatnot.

Here's what I'm starting with:

img_0578.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Welcome fellow Sl-i brother! Good to see ya.

Fozzy struts and springs, as well as a set from an Outback, are a great choice that you can't really go wrong with if you want some added clearance. They're slightly different, but the outcome is about the same...

Tire wise, I'd look into a set of Yokohama Geolander AT/S. They are very Subie friendly and come in all type of Subie sizes (you could easily score a set of Outback/Turbo BC 15" rims) and insanely awesome. The grip in the loose stuff is excellent and the sidewalls are very, very strong. They're pretty beefy: making that "whoow whoow" sound when going around a high speed sweeper.:grin: I think it's a nice compromise between "car" tires and swampers.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT-S&partnum=07SR5GEOATS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=1997&autoModel=Outback&autoModClar=

Just started with an idea after seeing TheLoyale's lifted Loyale wagon at a recent car show, and seeing how I'm moving out of the city, and into the "country", it makes sense.

Having a lowered Legacy wagon is nice and all ('05 WRX struts with Hotchkis springs), but a lot less practical than a lifted one, especially come winter.

I've done a little research and will be going the cheap route with used '04+ Forester struts. Not sure yet what wheels (Forester steelies?) and tires I will run.

Looking for any help anyone can throw my way, like links and whatnot.

i'm not sure 04 struts will fit. at some point they changed the top mount design, i'm not sure when.

but outback struts 96 - 98 will bolt right on and then you can run outback wheels with 205/70/15 tires.

EDIT: your speedo will be slightly off, less power and maybe better fuel economy, assuming you can accurately figure out how many miles you have driven.

Edited by johnceggleston

Not worried about my speedo. I'll just track it by GPS and see how far its off at 60-70 where I usually cruise at. Funny thing is, it was off with my stock L wheels/tires, but is spot on now with my GT wheels/tires.

I am pretty set on Forester struts, just need to figure out if the XT was lower/stiffer or what. Seems like the struts are the same, but the springs are not. I'm set on those because it's easier to find a cheap set with low miles versus a cheap high mile OB setup, or $$$$$$$$$ for new OB stuff.

Did some more searching last night and this morning and I think I'll be calling Subaru on Monday to get the front crossmember spacers from an OB, and the rear trailing arm brackets, so the driveline angles are good.

you want to run outback struts they are taller then Forrester struts and if you are looking for a lift kit I have one that will bolt on right now ( 3in.) ... So with the Outback strut and 3in. blocks you get about 5 1/4 in lift plus 30in tire get you up there. :banana: Sweet car by the way.....:)

Thanks! :clap:

I'm following the build this guy did: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17684

Minus the sexy bumper (for now) and rear '99 Forester springs.... until i see how it sits.

I'm trying to do it the cheapest and easiest and so far the way he did it seems like the way to go.... no lift blocks or spacers needed. Just struts.

Ordered up some strut assemblies and different wheels (Forester full size spares FTW!) today. Tires will be next. 215/65R16 Yoko AT/S's. Should be fun.

Hopefully the wife won't kill me, and I can make back what I spend lifting it on selling the WRX struts and lowering springs. And maybe the snowflakes.