Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I install bigger speaker on my Loyale front doors?

Hello everyone, I need to install a pair of Blaupunkt Speakers, but they're bigger than the ones that came with the car, thus they won't fit on the plastic base, and won't fit in the speaker hole on the interior plastic cover of the door. Here on the forum i've seen some of you guys install the speakers over the plastic cover, for doing so I think you have tu cut a hole bigger than the plastic grill on the cover, but... what else?... Do I have to use wood (like MDF or something) between the plastic cover and the metal, where originally the plastic base were?. If so, what thickness this wood should be?. Is there a template available somewhere, do I use the original screw holes, do I use long screws from the speakers screw holes through the plastic cover, then through the wood to get the original holes and/or new ones?.

By the way, these are the speakers I bought.

Thanks a lot!! :)

I am assuming that you posted a picture of the speaker, I just can't see it.

if you were referring to the speaker being deeper instead of larger in diameter.

option 1:

make a new mounting plate out of MDF 1/2" will work fine. and use the existing mounting holes in the door. as long as the the speaker is not too deep.

option 2:

cut a hole in the door panel where the speaker grill is and mount the speaker on the outside, for added strength make a ring of MDF to back up the speaker on the door panel, I don't think having long screws that go all the way through into the door is necessary.

its hard to explain some of this stuff, if I hadn't had a hard drive crash a few years ago I would have some install pics to show you what I meant.

hope that was helpful

Ben

Oops!... the speakers are these:

http://www.blaupunkt.de/en/products/loudspeakers/gt-series/produkt/gtx_662_mk_ii/?no_cache=1

Thank you Ben. And they're deeper and larger in diameter, there's no way they fit in the original plastic speaker base. What I'd like to do is your option 2, and I'd like to be pretty sure I won't spoil the door panel, so it would be very useful if someone who has done it before could tell me his experience. I know it's not a big job compared to the ones most of you do to your cars, but as I told, don't want to waste the panel.

Thanks again!!

Here is a quick DIY

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=75833&get=last

and here is a cheap lazy way

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882586155&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Car+Speakers-_-Scosche-_-82586155

If you know anyone with a router a circle jig is pretty easy to build takes like 5 minutes with a few houshold items. I would recommend that one it allows you to stack up as many rings as you need to get the exact depth you want.

Mike

6 1/2 will fit in the factory placement on the front door.

Not too easy on EA82's ... They comes Factory with 4" Speakers Front and 6½" Rear; I Know that some 6½" Speakers might fit in the Front Doors but their magnet will Hit the Glass Mechanism, unless they are Small (Low Wattage)

I Faced that problem Long time Ago and I just Placed the Front 6½" Speakers just over the Door's Panel and they have been There for more than Fifteen Years without any Problem.

Here you can see a Picture:

Marco09.jpg?t=1278930214

Kind Regards.