Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt4 struts on my 86 hatch

I picked up a set of xt4 2wd struts and springs since I heard they are the shortest struts. I'm curious if anybody has put these in a ea81. Does it get rid of the positive camber? I keep going back and forth on wither or not to leave it stock or lower it but it'd be nice to have a hatch that handled. It's a 4wd with the 4 speed but I'm thinking about the push button five speed for winter driving. So I could have 4wd when needed. Oh and to the guys using the adjustable coil-over, what vehicle do you order those for to get it to fit the Subby?

I picked up a set of xt4 2wd struts and springs since I heard they are the shortest struts. I'm curious if anybody has put these in a ea81. Does it get rid of the positive camber? I keep going back and forth on wither or not to leave it stock or lower it but it'd be nice to have a hatch that handled. It's a 4wd with the 4 speed but I'm thinking about the push button five speed for winter driving. So I could have 4wd when needed. Oh and to the guys using the adjustable coil-over, what vehicle do you order those for to get it to fit the Subby?

Unless you have it lifted or something; you shouldn't really be seeing much for camber problems. If it is stock, and you have bad camber; you have other problems causing this. Check to see if your stock struts (on the car) have adjusters, and if so, where they are adjusted to. Alot of times people crank up the adjusters for a little more ground clearance, and that will give a very slight camber problem.

Also, why are you thinking of swapping in a crappy push button 5 speed for winter driving? Unless you REALLY need the 5th gear, it would be pointless. And if you DO really need a 5th gear: Why not go with a 5spd Dual Range? That way you have the best of both worlds. It's still a linkage operated 4wd system, and you'd have the 5th gear. It sounds to me like you are under some impression that the Dual Ranges can't be driven in 4wd on the highway or something. If that is the case: You have been misled, or are wrong. The Dual Range transmissions can drive on the highway no problem at all. In other words, your 4wd 4 spd will work just fine for winter driving. Just pop it in 4 Hi when the snow hits, and away you go. There are alot of people here that will tell you stories about how you can shift one into 4wd at over 35mph. I know I've done so a few times without problem. I'd just avoid having it in 4wd and making tight circles on dry pavement. Other than that; It'll be fine.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

The adjusters are all the way down, it's not like it's at an extreme camber or anything, just would be nice to get it to handle a little better. I know caster has a part in that as well. Nah if I could find a dual range I'd grab it, I know you can shift into 4wd above 55, hell you can hit low range at that speed to kick it up into the power band. Did that today climbing sunset hill. Figured the push buttons might be easier to find.

Edited by 86hatchback

I know you can shift into 4wd above 55, hell you can hit low range at that speed to kick it up into the power band. Did that today climbing sunset hill. Figured the push buttons might be easier to find.

So, can you elaborate then on what you meant by "getting a 5spd push button for winter driving"? That car is about as good as it's going to get for winter driving. The 5speed will only help above 60mph or so. In winter conditions, above 60mph it doesn't matter if you have 80wheel drive. All the wheels in the world turning won't help you stay on the road at speed. You aren't going to be any better off with a 5spd push button than the Hi/Low for ANY driving conditions other than freeway commuting.

I'd leave the car exactly as it is. If it is in decent condition, has been properly maintained, and driven by someone competent; it can outhandle pretty much any tires you'll throw on it. My hatch had a really good set of Toyo's on it, and in BONE STOCK stance it would drive far beyond the capabilty of the tires.

The tires I have on it now it likes to dive into the corners but they are taller then stock. The car is my commuter and besides a worn out driver seat the car is in really good shape for 230,000. So I finally decided I don't want to wheel it. I'd rather have a nice commuter car and something I might be able to fling through the twisties.

I did remember one of the main reasons I was thinking push button, which might be bunk too. Aren't most of the push buttons 3.7 instead of 3.9. I'd like to go back to the stock size tires but with stock tires and 3.9 gears that little car screamed on the freeway. I do a lot of 65+ mph commuting so it'd be nice to keep the rpm's down as much a possible.

So why are the push buttons such crap compared to the dual range other then not having low range? Do they not engage as smooth a manual shift 4wd levers? I know my 4 speed shifts in and out really easy.

Oh the winter driving thing, basically I wanted to keep the car able to shift into 4wd during the bad weather, which I wouldn't be driving fast at that point. So basically if I could find a dual range with 3.7's I'd go for that for sure.

Edited by 86hatchback

You're right, most of the push buttons are 3.7 in the diff. That also means you'd need to find a matching rear differential. Not rare by any means, but, it is something else you would HAVE to do. Your stock diff right now is 3.9, and you can't mix that with the 3.7 front diff, and use it.

I truthfully wouldn't worry about going for different diff gear ratios. The 3.9 gears with a 5th gear would be plenty enough for the interstate. Plus you'd still have enough low end oomph to creep if you needed.

One thing you need to take into consideration is that you'll need to change the driveline, or have one made to fit. The ea82 trans is shorter. It is also bigger, which is important to you as you have no lift. Some modification to the trans tunnel will be necessary without a lift.

Maybe now you are beginning to see why I said leave the 4 spd in it. :grin:

The 4spd d/r is geared than the 5spds I don't see how changing out is going to help anything on a street car that only gets put in 4wd when it snows

the gear ratios for the 4spd d/r are

1st 3.636

2sd 1.950

3th 1.193

4th 0.769

3.90 final with a 1.462 low range

And the 5spds

1st 3.636

2sd 1.950

3th 1.344

4th 0.971

5th 0.780

3.90 final and a 1.53 low range

this is for the non turbo trans and goes for both duel and single range trannys

the turbos have a 3.70 final but a 5th gear .980 or so i think

you want be gaining gas mileage from a 5spd swap But you will get a closer ratio trans which is better for take off hills offroading etc.

Done some more research in the last couple days and bought some parts. so I now own the complete running gear out of a 87 turbo, so the whole front cross member with powersteer rack with the pump, rear disc brakes and arms. Kid pretty much striped the bottom of his wagon to put xt6 stuff in.

Plus I found the transmission I was hoping existed and it's only $125 the ft4wd with center lock. I remembered why I wanted that kind of a trans. Even with my under powered stock motor and over sized tires it will spin them in the rain.

The turbo trans has the same overdrive. Sounds like the only way to get the same overdrive as the 4 speed would be to put 2wd legacy 5th gear set. The gearing isn't as important as the drive ability which I've heard with a five speed is much nicer. Driving my car to me is like my 78 Ford with the four speed. Yeah it's a manual but it's not as fun as my old toyota 2wd with a five speed.