Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nuther WI fella

Just sayin hi, I have lots of reading to do.

I picked up a 98 Legacy GT wagon with a 5 sp. late last year. The person I bought it from said the head gaskets were leaking, we changed em out with new t-belt, water pump seals and everything that might have or have not been work in the 176k miles. 1k miles later, rod #3 spun a bearing. Junkyard score 96 EJ25 auto engine. Swap all the new parts onto the New (97k mile) engine with new head gaskets and a swipe on the heads to clean the surface. 2.5k miles later, overheats, and I'm now in the middle of replacing gaskets and having everything machined flat again.

So there's my saga. I still like the car, and the wife loves it. She keeps making me take the mini-van!

Hopefully it'll back on the road in a week or so.

Welcome, papalobster. I'm sorry about your problem too. Did you use Subaru OEM head gaskets? Follow the torque sequence carefully? Maybe the guy who sold you the car had totally toasted the engine!

If you haven't already, try the search function at the top of the page--EJ25 head gaskets have been one of the most "popular" topics on here for years.

You ought to post your problems on the New Gen forum. More people will see it there, more chance of helpful responses.

Good luck.

Naw, the previous owner lets me use his shop (with lift!) to do the repairs. he not the beating the crap out of the car type. It was just time.

I'm using Victor Reinz gaskets. Out of a total of 3 failures in the same car 2 sets were factory parts:brow: Reassembly starts today. Heads are milled, blocks is flat. Parts are stacked.:banana:

I'm in Fond du lac.

Got it together last weekend and took it for a spin, doesn't overheat but I get an occasional gurgle through the heater core and I have a stumble just off idle. I'm pretty sure I have everything where it's supposed to go.

I'm going to give it the once over and make sure all teh connections are tight and hoses are routed correctly.

I have to "replace" the resonator too. At least things are happening in the summer when I don't mind wrenching so much!

Did you run the car and get it hot while the Radiator cap was off? Do this to get all the air out of the system, Don't just burp it while the engine is off and cold. :)

Got it together last weekend and took it for a spin, doesn't overheat but I get an occasional gurgle through the heater core and I have a stumble just off idle. I'm pretty sure I have everything where it's supposed to go.

I'm going to give it the once over and make sure all teh connections are tight and hoses are routed correctly.

I have to "replace" the resonator too. At least things are happening in the summer when I don't mind wrenching so much!

I have this fancy shmancy funnel thingy that takes place of the radiator cap. Holds like 2 qts. of coolant. Let er idle for 1/2 hour while it works the bubbles out. Let it cool completely, run er again. That block has lot's of bubble traps though.

Clicky

I'm usually runnin children around or tendin to the dirt bikes/rallys/off-roading in the summer for any bbq. But, tell ya what I'm gonna do. If the Legacy is still working come winter, I'll let you fellers know when we're out riding on Lake Winnebago. We tend to ride for a while, then afterwards burn some meat and have a few cool ones (no cooler needed) and take a few laps in the cars. I plow 2-3 mile road courses on the ice for bikes. Great fun an dmakes winter fun again.