Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy owner beware of Direct Fit replacement exhausts

:mad::mad::mad:

I decided to post a PSA.

Here are pics of my 1989 exhuast system side by side with a system from Walker. the Walker sustem is supposed to be a "Direct Fit" for the 89.

DSC04222.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04221.jpg

DSC04223.jpg

The front pipe from wlaker is too short to replace the factory flex pipe (which does not have a flange anywhere on it) and not long enough to reach the Manifold/converter.

I am an Automotive engineer and used to do part interchanges as my first job. Personally I would never approve this.

I will share what Walker says.

oh no's the muffler looks ?somewhat? right, wonder what car they sent you the intermediates for.

The mufler is fine. The angle for the connection is fine. Anything after that just does not work. That cat is so big I dont know if that poor little 3cyl engine can push through two full size cats.

One of theirflange clamps are junk too as far as matching up.

That's what you get outta those direct fit replacement exhaust systems. I moved, and installed alot of that stuff while working for Napa. It was all crap. Even the best of it didn't fit quite right, and it almost always took a couple of people tugging it around to get it on there. The worst part was that it was all garbage anyways. Most of it was poorly galvanized crap that would be gone in a few years anyways.

Needless to say; I now have a tubing bender. $45 for a 10' stick of 16g 2-1/2" aluminized makes it REALLY hard for any of the prebent setups to compete.