Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Year/Model Engines Will Fit '05 Outback?

I forgot to say, it is a 2.5L. So the blocks from 2000 on are pretty much the same?

Edit: So I quit being lazy and looked around the net, seems like the 00-04 used the ej251, while 05+ uses the ej253. the ej251 uses a map sensor, the 253 is maf. So If I swap the cam gears and intake it should work...but would be nice to confirm that first...

Edited by outbackusjunkus

2005 is a 4th generation - where 2000-2004 is 3rd. engine output increased a tiny amount. that often doesn't matter as far as engine swaps but sometimes it does. i'm not sure if it matters here or not.

how many miles? are you sure it's rod knock and not piston slap, timing tensioner, or oil pump?

I'm not worried if it has a little less oomph,
oh right, i'm sure you wouldn't notice anyway i was just mentioning that to make the point that the engine did change in 05, that's all.

haven't done anything that new myself or heard much about it. did you try any searching?

did some searching, your intake swaps so that's good news, appears no significant changes. is your 05 DBW, if so you'll have to swap to non-DBW throttle body.

another guy went the opposite way and swapped an 05 engine into his 02 vehicle and it wouldn't start - through a cam position sensor code - which happens a good bit on 2000-2004 models and requires swapping the cam sprockets from the original motor onto the new. he didn't reply back to see if he worked it out, but that's probably what he did. thread here:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/86096-engine-replacement-w-newer-ej25-4.html

Problem solved...picked up a rolled '07 with only 34,000 miles for $1950 at a local salvage auction. Should be able to part out whats left and get my money back for the engine, plus won't have to dink around or even worry about gaskets, timing belts, etc.. Life is good. Also got the new '05 home...black on black...5 speed...movin' up. Anybody want to buy a rust free '97 OBW?