Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen1 Brat Dash Cap almost the Holy Grail

Yes, the Holy Grail would be an uncracked dashboard but this is the next best thing. I got one from Skip today. Its the one that was on the Brat I sold him 5 years ago. It was never glued on just a little stuck from the heat. Thanks again Skip!!!:banana::banana::banana:

I was wondering if theres a local shop here that I can get to duplicate these for us on the board. Any suggestions to what kind of shops I should bring it to for duplication would be appreciated. If I can get more than Im sure people here would love to have some. Let me know what you all think. Heres a pic...

I have one of these caps on my Brat. They were made by Coverlay and are made of ABS plastic. Mine finally cracked over time between the windshield and the defrost vent, but it still looks far better than the dash that is under it.

My only experience with molded ABS plastic like this is the "old school" (and maybe still the "only school?") way -- get an injection mold made and have a run produced. Injection molds are not cheap, though. Perhaps there is a less expensive alternatives these days...?

BTW, I often thought that it would be interesting to try and reproduce them out of fiberglass, or the whole dash for that matter. I've seen many a dash made from fiberglass on the web and they look pretty sweet when properly done.

Then again, I'm still dreaming of finishing up my bed liner :)

Edited by bendecker

I think a silicone setup may work.

Hard ABS or similar plastic wrapped in the silicone could be use around the vents and the the edges and then the major stretches would just be silicone.

Kinda like a cell phone case, but with a plastic substructure.

And a silicone setup would be a lot cheaper to make than an ABS production

run.

Twitch

Well.... I dont want to send it anywhere. Im in West Palm Beach, FL 33415. I dont want to take a chance parting with or losing this piece so I will not ship it somewhere. The shop will have to be local, in driving distance. If I can find a place here than I will investigate in getting more made if its not to much $$$. :rolleyes: