Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove THIS????

The oil pump from HELL! 1984 EA81 oil pump backing plate. Removed the pump and the rear mount was cracked in several places. When I pulled off the front pump housing this was what I was left with. :eek: How in the name of God do I go about getting this out? :confused: Barely spins if I hit it with a hammer and a dull flat blade. She's in tight. Only about 1" or so of the flat plate remaining. HELP. :banghead:

4842104102_7813541f22_b.jpg

4841487433_c05923dac7_b.jpg

take a bolt that will thread into the hole in the center' date=' square grind the end and start in into the hole it will put pressure on the cam end and will press itself out... ask me how i know :lol:[/quote']

That's what I thought. I just got a starter tap and a flat bottom chaser tap. There's only about 1/2" (the length of the pump rotor rear shaft shoulder) to work a thread onto before I hit what I'm assuming is the end of the cam/cam gear. Slightly oversized which equates to 1/2" tap. So if I thread a bolt in and press against the (cam?) your saying that piece will press itself out? I was going to thread a bolt into the tapped hole and try to use a puller on it (think slide hammer).

I also CAREFULLY started trying to remove that outermost ring by hand cutting notches with a fine, short sawzall blade then breaking a piece off. Got about 1/2 of the outer ring removed that way but man this thing won't cooperate. That's when I thought of the tap.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try a carbide burr in a heavy duty dremel to try to thin out the remaining portion of that outermost ring and then hopefully peel it out of there.

Looking closer at this recent purchase I think I might know how this happened. Somebody replaced the right cylinder head which leads me to believe they overheated it. A sure way to get these pumps stuck fast in the block. That and just lack of timely oil changes. This is BY FAR the worst one I've encountered.

Tapping and hopefully extraction will be Saturday. Stay tuned. :rolleyes:

Edited by ettev