Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza 1.8 Auto Trans Problems

I picked up a 93 Impreza 1.8 Auto Trans. It runs well, but will not move in fwd gears and only a very little bit in Reverse.

The PO said it ran shifted well before he changed the transmission filter and fluid.

The Power light is blinking 16 times when you start it.

How do I pull the transmission codes?

I did try disconnecting both transmission plugs in the engine compartment, this produced no change.

I have not dropped the pan yet, but I'm thinking a hyd tube or wiring may have been damaged when he did the filter.

213K AWD

Thanks, Larry

fluid level good?

if unplugging it does nothing then seems like a fluid pressure loss which would speak to the symptoms too.

any clue if the motor/trans were ever removed before? i'd guess the oil pump is cracked from the torque converter not being lined up properly.

be interesting to know what that code is since fluid and filter have nothing electronic directly associated with them. those are a pain to extract but folks have posted the insane process to retrieve them on here before.

on older gen stuff there's at least two different filters and i've gotten the wrong one before. they'll look the same but the outlet tube sizes will be slightly different. i wouldn't imagine EJ's having different sizes but maybe, that is the first year impreza.

maybe the oring on the outlet tube wasn't installed right, i recall my first one i ever did wondering where the oring was supposed to sit on the tube - didn't seem as obvious as other parts.

why change the filter, i wonder if there were issues? few folks do that for absolutely no reason - a lot of times there are issues or hints of issues that make people try something.

He was a non Subaru fellow, and with the mileage on the Impreza I'm sure he just thought it was good maintenance.

Codes from the Trans Computer:

31 - Throttle Sensor

33 - Vehicle Speed Sensor 2

I have not had time to drop the pan, but the trans and front diff fulids look cleand and are at the proper leves.

I think I have the TPS and might have a speed sensor. I think I'm still going to drop the pan and take a look. This all started when he changed the filter.

I'm thinking disconnected fluid transfer tube or damaged wiring. I hope to drop it Wed.

Thanks, Larry

if it was literally fine, then not - you're on the right track.

hopefully it's that simple, i recall seeing wires down there too by the filters.

sometimes i'm a bit cautious though because folks "say" it was fine but really they were noticing something....then the problem was worse later more than after.

I have a trans and rear diff out of a 96 Legacy with 95k on it in the standby position. If I don't see anything wrong when I drop the pan, then the new trans and diff is going in.

I hope its an easy fix, I do hate changing those heavy autos.

They had the wrong filter in the pan. The transmission shop I picked up the new filter from thought it was for a Nissan.

I put the correct one in and it works. I have some funny shifting, it hunts between 3 & Drive. I pulled the battery to clear the codes I'll see if the same ones come back.

Thanks for the help.

They had the wrong filter in the pan. The transmission shop I picked up the new filter from thought it was for a Nissan.

not surprised. glad that was relatively easy and hope it's fixed.
on older gen stuff there's at least two different filters and i've gotten the wrong one before. they'll look the same but the outlet tube sizes will be slightly different.

I put the correct one in and it works. I have some funny shifting, it hunts between 3 & Drive. I pulled the battery to clear the codes I'll see if the same ones come back.

do the TCU's/ECU's have any kind of "learning" curve? pulling the battery should have reset any of that too, right? maybe some miles put on it will smooth it out?

The power light is still blinking 16 times when the car is started. I'm doing the timing belt today. I picked up the speed sensor and TPS from the yard yesterday.

I hope the long battery disconnect clears all codes.

The power light is still blinking 16 times when the car is started. I'm doing the timing belt today. I picked up the speed sensor and TPS from the yard yesterday.

I hope the long battery disconnect clears all codes.

Disconnect the battery; and attempt to start the car (this will drain all electricity from the car as the starter will try to engage and can't.)

then reconnect it up, the first time the subie turns on; there should be no codes (no flashing AT OIL TEMP) and the instrument cluster should be normal.

drive around a bit; and turn the car off. Turn it back on and see if the light will start flashing; if it reflashes then something is tripping the TCU and recording a error. Have it flash you the code and attempt to fix it. For example if it's a speed sensor; match the communication by resistor or such and see if it cancels out the error (if it does, ta-da you fixed the error)