Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another swap and a few more questions?

I just picked up a 1999 Legacy L wagon with a phase 2 ej22 auto trans. It's got a pretty bad knock so it's gonna need a swap. I've also got a 90Kmile 95 legacy ej22 motor and wonder if i can use it. Anyone know? If it's compatable, i might need to swap the intake manifold and make sure the crank timing sprocket is the same. maybe diff Y pipe.. anything else?

Thanks as always!

Elliott

the 95 ej22 is a direct swap for the 99 ej25 so i think it will work, no problem. you may need a y-pipe as mentioned but that should be it. you can not swap the intake since the phase 2 ej22 intake is the same as the phase 2 ej25 intake and different than the 95 - 98 ej22 intake. but since you don't need to swap it it is not a problem.

but before you do the swap check to make sure you are not hearing the t-belt tensioner slapping. may be just wishful thinking but it would be great if that is what was making the noise and they will make noise.

thanks for the info. i kinda bought the car sight unseen for almost nothing and assumed it had the ej25 but upon arrival i discovered it was the base line with the phase 2 ej22. so my question still stands, will my desired application work? 95 ej22 into 99 ej22 phase II?? and i plan to check out the tensioner slap theroy. never experienced that and really good info!

thanks again!

Edited by 99gtott

In locating engine noises, it can be very helpful to use an engine stethoscope to find the source. If you are not familiar with this tool, it looks and works like a doctor's stethoscope. Nearly pin pointing the source of an engine noise saves a lot of time in diagnosing repairs.

You will have to put the 99 wiring harness ontp the 95 engine.

You will probably need to swap the 99 Throttle body onto the 95 intake to work with the wirng. (off chance the 99 TPS will bolt to the 95 intake...in which case no TB swapping needed.)

Problem will be with the IAC. The 95 intake will not have the matching passage to the IAC mounted in the 99 Throttle body.

Honestly......probably not the best route to go.

Perhaps put the 99 heads onto the 95 shortblock?

Honestly......probably not the best route to go.

Perhaps put the 99 heads onto the 95 shortblock?

I think i like this idea!

It will be plan B

so heads and intake or? thread link for this? i know it;s all been done before at some point. maybe i'll get some pics going. i wont actually be getting into this until this weekend so i'll be taking notes and prepping. in the mean time i will be searching for a phase II ej22.

I would try to get another phase II. The 95 will not be a direct plug-in, and the phase II has a little more pep anyway. You will not be able to put your IM on the 95, nor can you put your IM on a dual cam 2.5's heads. Also, your 95 engine probably has dual port heads, so you would have to swap headers as well onto the 99. The phase II's are single port heads, but they flow better than the older dual ports.