Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap starting issue, vaporlock?

Scooner

So last weekend i finally finished up my EA82 to EJ22 swap and took it for a spin around the block. Holy hell it is fast coupled to the EA tranny! I have to be careful cruisin around in front wheel drive cause it will just spin those tires to no end, even goin into 3rd! This swap was a pain in the rump roast, but the end result is amazing, i can cruise up hills in 5th when before i'd have to shift into 3rd and sometimes into 2nd haha! Plus my car looks like a complete sleeper so people try and pass me or race me and find out real quick that my GL isn't just a run of the mill POS...and this engine has 256,000 miles on it. Anyways i guess i can share my only problem that i am dealing with. In the morning after the car has sat all night i can start the car right up no problem, but then i drive it for a bit so it all warms up nicely and turn it off. When i try to start it up again it just cranks and the exhaust expels an intense gas smelling discharge. Almost dizzying amount of smell. Cranks and cranks, so i found out if i hold the gas pedal all the way down like it were flooded then i can get iut to catch and start up. Then no problem at all while driving, i even took it off roading and through some water crossings this last weekend. That's basically my only issue i am having. It only does this when the car is warmed up, if it sits for a long time then i have no problem at all. What could this be??

faulty coolant temp sensor? thinking it's cold all the time, and therefore "choking" it too much when it's warm.

history on the motor? did it come out of a known-working donor car? I'm just trying to narrow it down to whether it's something that would have developed as a result of the swap or not.

Two very good ideas, and no i do not have the "thermometer" hooked up to the computer and i am pretty confident that it's not the injector. I have the temperature gauge hooked up though. Anyone know right off the top of their head what pin that temp gauge wire is on the ECU? I'll probably have to dig through some paper work. Does the black and yellow wire from the temp gauge just go to the ecu? and the red/green go to the temp gauge? I believe that's how i have it now. But lookin at it there is a green/white wire coming from the engine and i have it labeled thermometer. Hmmm wonder what i was supposed to do with that? thanks guys