Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C compressor blew a seal - need some data

Hi,

I am afraid I need some help from people who know about old A/C systems on our cars. I think I just blew a seal on my compressor as you can see...

post-26466-136027643388_thumb.jpg

Two weeks ago, I had it recharged with Freeze 12 instead of R12 at a local shop... now I think I should have stuck with R12 or go to a shop that is specialized in A/C systems... or may be it was just time for the compressor to let go...

It is a Matsush*ta N1300AC4 unit on my car. I have already ordered a reman compressor and a new accumulator/drier. Got a smoking deal for both of eBay.

My question for you guys is how much oil is supposed to be in the system? I have obviously lost a bunch of oil but nowhere in my documentation does it show how much oil there is in the system.

Also, when you recharge with R12, what are supposed to be the typical high and low side pressures you are reading?

I am asking because once I change the compressor and the drier I want to make sure I supervise whoever does the job on my car and that they do the right thing.

Thanks!

Most systems call for somewhere around 6 ounces of oil. Having said that, you're replacing the compressor and receiver/dryer which account for the vast majority of the oil in the system. I would simply add 4 ounces because there's no telling how much is in the system as is and a little over or under won't matter a lick.

As for pressures, that's going to be determined by a number of things, not the least of which is ambient temperature. There's just no way to tell you what the "correct" pressures are. Mostly, you want to see the high side somewhere between 4 and 6 times the pressure of the low side.