Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 dual carb head gaskets

Hi everyone.

I just replaced the engine of my beloved VW Beetle. Threw out the EA71 and put in an EA81 with the two carburators. The engine is a BEAST :)

After a couple of minutes though water started to come out of the exhaust. Busted head gasket :(

Anyway - no biggie .... but : is the headgasket identical with the single carb EA 81 ? (i know that the heads are definitely not)

Thanks for your help.

Oh - by the way : i'm about to get a new exahust too, so what would be the correct tube size under the heads? Thks.

To take the heads off, the manifold has to come of anyway. Thus, we shall see if the problem is there.

Since i'll be taking the heads off, i think i'll just send them for a skimming and a valve job. It's as good an opportunity as any.

Does anybody know what the tube diameter of the original exhaust used to be on these engines ? 'cause the port is HUGE (i think it must be 25-30% larger than the "normal" EA81)

Thks

Boris

• 4 weeks later...

The head gaskets were at fault.

By the way - they are identical to the "plain" EA 81.

Skimmed the heads, reground the valves, checked for wear on the guides (still very good) and replaced the heads with a set of new gaskets (original Subaru).

What an engine .........