Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Brat w/rich Weber 32/36

Its rich on the bottom end, so I am thinking a primary jet. Everyone around here wants to sell me a 'kit' that cost $70.00. It hesitates when I take off, and once it is warm wont idle below 1500rpm. It is the stock K731 redline kit, I guess I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction on the jet, or have a handful laying around that they would part with for a little bit. I suppose I should have been more explicit. Thanks for your help though.

Plugs, gas out the exhaust, and the front passenger cv boot is fried. All signs seem to point to running rich. What elevation do you live at? Logan is 4500+ feet and it spends most its time tooling around the mountains. From what I take the weber carb needs attention past 2500 feet.

Yeah - I'm basically at sea level most of the time. So that could be your problem.

You will want to lean it out across the board them - not just in the primaries.

And you may have to change the air bleeds as well.

I would try a set of 130's in the mains and drop the air corrector by 10 each as well so put your 160 in the main and get a 150 for the secondary air corrector. Try just buying two 130 mains and a 150 AC and seeing where you are at. Half sizes (135, etc) are not usually a big enough change to notice so I would drop a full size on all your jets. That should at least get you close.

It's a trial and error game and you can quickly hit that $70 mark unless you have better tuning gear to work with. This is one of the biggest reasons I invested in a Wide Band O2 setup - for tuning carbs as well as my EJ turbo.

GD

This is one of the biggest reasons I invested in a Wide Band O2 setup - for tuning carbs as well as my EJ turbo.

GD

Yup this is what i ended up doing also. I was going to buy one for my camaro to tune the Fuel injection but before putting it in there i tossed it in the subaru and tuned the carb. Its amazing what you find out when you can see exactly what all the changes you do to the carb do in affecting your air/fuel ratios.

As for leaning it out...thats a dangerous direction if you dont know what those changes are doing to the engine. You could lean it out too far and burn a valve or melt a piston. Basically my advice to you is if you think its running rich i would find out for sure. Do you have a dyno nearby? You could get air/fuel monitoring on the dyno and see if your running rich or lean and it would give you a baseline to fix. Or you could get the wideband o2 and go the direction that GD and i did. This may actually be the cheaper option for you in the long run if you intend on doing changes to the motor in the future.