Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anybody know if the exhaust heat shielding from a late 90's 2.5 motor exhaust system will fit on a 2.2 motor's exhaust system. I know the ports are a little different, but at a glance the pips looked shaped and ran the same? Need to replace my dented and rattling shielding and know a guy with some from a 2.5 legacy and mine is a 2.2

Thanks ahead of time.

All the parts are the same except the parts right next to the engine. The 2.5 is a dual port so that part of the heat shield is bigger. Wear a respirator there is some nasty asbestos type stuff between shield and pipe. If yours is rattling just run a couple sheetmetal screws in it. It takes 10 min and its an almost permanent fix. $5 worth of self tapping sheet metal screws....done

All the parts are the same except the parts right next to the engine. The 2.5 is a dual port so that part of the heat shield is bigger. Wear a respirator there is some nasty asbestos type stuff between shield and pipe. If yours is rattling just run a couple sheetmetal screws in it. It takes 10 min and its an almost permanent fix. $5 worth of self tapping sheet metal screws....done

A lot easier to quiet the heat shields as written above, however, if you don't ever park in high weeds that could catch fire from touching the hot exhaust, then don't be concerned about having metal heat shields at all. That is all they do, is prevent grass fires.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just cut off a lot of my heat shield and found it to be the rear cat cover, Just did a quick tack weld, and wool-ah. No more rattle. I go out into the woods a lot so wanted to get the shields I cut off replaced, but I don't think it will be an issue so probably not going to replace what I cut off. Wanted to keep the shields around the cats so that they stay nice and hot to burn that extra fuel.