Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i would expect a motor trans mount to have others issues or experience it while sitting still. a motor/trans mount doesn't automatically "fix itself" while sitting still...though maybe there could be some other mode working.

if it sounds related to the throttle plate - have a look at the throttle itself and the throttle cable. maybe there's a loose adjustment nut or the throttle plate itself is borked.

too bad you are not closer to hear it in person it's much deeper in person then the recording (I took out all the road rumbling sound) To be the throttle plate.

I'm going to check something else in question wondering if the steering rack could be causing it if that's possible.

have you inspected your carrier bearing? that's the center support of the driveshaft, i would inspect that. might be able to see something just by looking or grabbing really hard and shaking it. but if it's this minor it'll probably need to come off to feel the bearings/bushings in it. most driveshaft issues (ujoints, carrier bearing, bushing) are speed dependent/related and get worse over time.

what if you're driving in reverse and then close the throttle? does it do it then? or can you not go fast enough to make it do it?

have you inspected your carrier bearing? that's the center support of the driveshaft, i would inspect that. might be able to see something just by looking or grabbing really hard and shaking it. but if it's this minor it'll probably need to come off to feel the bearings/bushings in it. most driveshaft issues (ujoints, carrier bearing, bushing) are speed dependent/related and get worse over time.

what if you're driving in reverse and then close the throttle? does it do it then? or can you not go fast enough to make it do it?

So what are you saying I should grab and shake? I will be taking my video camera with me this time.

And to answer your question no I haven't inspected the carrier bearing.

yes, grab and shake it but sometimes that doesn't always show a bad bearing/bushing. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. good and easy check though to grab and shake. drivetrain loading changes when the throttle is closed, that's why i suggest checking.

the best check is to actually remove the carrier bearing, but that's kind of annoying for a guess. two bolts (14mm or 17mm) hold it up under the car, then 4 12mm bolts hold the front shaft to the rear shaft. that's it, then it comes out. slides out of trans, where gear oil will pour out from though. so it's only 6 bolts to remove and some stinky messy gear oil. hand shake is an easier and simpler place to start.

the carrier bearing is what the CV axle stubs stick into right?

I did a video might make things a little clearer I should of mounted the camera on the seat before I started shooting..

Here is one video with a short little drive

And this other one is me checking under the car and moving things

A person suggested that I put the car up on jack stands and drive with it in gear and have someone look under the car while in gear.. it would be a bit hard since no one in my family likes manuals so not sure how that will work out.

I know I would really be able to pinpoint where it comes from then.

I seem to be having a similar problem as you with the noises. Sometimes if i let off the gas the car clunks a little and it will send a jolt down the whole car. I also get a whine when i let off the acceleration. Do you get any whine? I couldn't hear any in your video or sound clips. I drove with a mechanic from our shop and he suggested cv or possibly the differential.

We then put my car up on blocks and put it in gear and listened for the sounds, and there wasn't really any clunk under accl/deccl. I think that it may have something to do with the load on the car?

There is some play in my front right cv (not a lot just a small fraction of a turn) but I am hesitant to think that its the culprit because its only a couple years old. (also my other cv is one year old and has almost the same amount of play).

I don't know if this information helped at all, but If you put it up on blocks I would try and listen to the rear diff. We put a piece of pipe up to it and it sort of funnels/ amplifies the sound coming from it so that may help you.

I don't have any whine but I might run into the same as you it may not make the sound without a load on the car.. it would almost be like trying to make the sound happen while coasting in neutral.

I have no clue how old the CV joints are in the front since I only got the car last year.. but the passenger side looks to be a reman (if anyone looked at the 2nd youtube video) it has the marking 1334 or whatever on it.. the play in the video I don't know if that much play in the CV was normal..

At 2:45 in your under the car video is that the cv or the tie rod? On the cv's there should be dust plates (on both ends). Also when i checked my cvs i had one person hold the boot near the wheel and i tried to rotate the shaft to check for rotational play (not just up and down).

At 2:45 in your under the car video is that the cv or the tie rod? On the cv's there should be dust plates (on both ends). Also when i checked my cvs i had one person hold the boot near the wheel and i tried to rotate the shaft to check for rotational play (not just up and down).

That's the steering rack the CV joints are at 0:25

in the event that it's my CV's who offers quality replacements that wont go to crap like these remans?

I haven't picked up jackstands for the rear since I'm broke from vacation but I'm 90% sure it's one of the axles because of vibration in my wheels and it does not change when you rotate the tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm the more I look at this it seems like it's the backlash of the front diff..

I've watched a few youtube videos and it only happens in gear when everything is loaded.

just coasting in gear going over a bump in the road is enough to cause the sound but wont do it in neutral.

2nd thing thing is how does the backlash get out of spec anyways?

I can confirm it is backlash i got curious while I had one side up so I left the car out of gear and tried (no sound) but I put the car in gear and sure enough it showed.. and boy does the motor and everything else move a good bit and this was just turning by hand..