Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPT Subaru Performance Tuning exhaust, will it fit an OBW???

I've noticed that the SPT performance exhaust for the 1996-1999 Subaru Legacy GT (part number P/N SOA8376400 wagon, SOA8376300 for you people with sedans) isn't applicable to a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. Does anyone know why it can't fit, and if there's a way I can modify it (not too badly) to fit???

I know it's quite pricey for a so-so exhaust but I would really like it on my Outback since the stock muffler is so quiet.

Also, I'm wondering if any other SPT/STI parts from Subaru of America's Performance Parts catalog can be used on a 1999 Outback without too much fuss. I heard the WRX wagon rear strut tower brace could fit the rear, but I'd like you experts to confirm.

What's the point? The OBW is not meant for speed and performance. The gearing, suspension, and tire sizes are all wrong to start with.

If you want performance, start by replacing the suspension and tires with GT style and then change the transmission to a short ratio, high final drive unit that can actually accelerate.

Exhaust is pretty much a lose for the kind of money it would cost.

But if you really want to, at least go for one of the Borla knock-off's from ebay - like $130 and they are identical to the Borla headers just without the brand.

They probably don't fit because of the oil cooler on the EJ25's - at least that's my assumption. I don't beleive the Borla or knock-off headers are any different. You would have to lose the oil cooler and that involves changing the water pump if you are going to do it right. At least - that's what I think is the biggest holdup to useing them. I know that's the case on the Forester's..... not sure the OBW's got the oil cooler so it could be something else that's causing them not to fit.

GD

agreed! just do some kind of cat back, your not really going to gain much HP from the exhaust, I'm guessing your going for the sound more than the performance, and in that case, nothing sounds better than a boxer engine rumbling @ 2000k, at least thats when I like the sound.

I know very well it isn't a speed machine (but I do like the short gearing in mountain passes), but at the very least I'd like to have a few performance parts. I don't care if the gains are minimal, I would simply like to get some SPT/STI parts in the future on my Outback, even if it means wasting money and time for such minimal gains. I want some from the Subaru performance parts catalog that don't require too much work to put on (to me, drilling holes is calling for too much, I'm too afraid to mess up).

As for the exhaust, yes, I'm getting it mostly for the sound, not necessarily the performance. Even the stock exhaust though, sounds awesome (especially at 4000RPM!), but I'd like to replace the stock one for an SPT (since most other aftermarket will be obnoxiously loud).

I don't care if the gains are minimal, I would simply like to get some SPT/STI parts in the future on my Outback, even if it means wasting money and time for such minimal gains.

^ Flatbill? :rolleyes:

Hhhmmm - you make no sense kid. You want to waste a bunch of money so you can what? Badge it with a pink "STi"? LAAAAAMMMMMEEE

Seriously - if you want to throw away money then you don't need to ask an internet forum how to do that - you ought to be able to do that on your own. I think your questions would be much better suited to the NASIOC board given your disposition for burning cash to no benefit.

If you want it louder - ditch the muffler and install a straight-through. It's not that loud with the stock exhaust, cats, and resonators in place.

GD

^ Flatbill? :rolleyes:

Hhhmmm - you make no sense kid. You want to waste a bunch of money so you can what? Badge it with a pink "STi"? LAAAAAMMMMMEEE

Seriously - if you want to throw away money then you don't need to ask an internet forum how to do that - you ought to be able to do that on your own. I think your questions would be much better suited to the NASIOC board given your disposition for burning cash to no benefit.

If you want it louder - ditch the muffler and install a straight-through. It's not that loud with the stock exhaust, cats, and resonators in place.

GD

Hey, I'm not going to lie, I'm a whore for such things.

Maybe later on in life I'll learn, but for now, I'm still a *********************. I hate being young...

EDIT: as for making sense, people ask me why I got a Subaru. I tell them I like to have an AWD passenger vehicle. But it makes no sense to them...

I came here to get tips and info, not some hatred. I do understand what I want is absolutely stupid and blind, but it is what I want.

Back on topic.

Anyways, anything else you guys think would fit? Any of the strut mounts? I doubt the suspension bushings would fit.. I know that I can get KYB shocks, but I wish not to lower the ride height. Speaking of ride height, are any of the newer Outback struts interchangable? I'd love to have 8.3 to 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

Edited by AWDfreak

Hey, I'm not going to lie, I'm a whore for such things.

Maybe later on in life I'll learn, but for now, I'm still a *********************. I hate being young...

LoL. At least you admit to it. Why not spend that money on some tools and learn some skills like how to drill a hole? You aren't going to be able to go very far with SPT bolt-on's on an OBW.

Or why not get something that *has* a bolt-on aftermarket at least? Maybe something with a turbo instead of that mommy missle you're rockin. :)

EDIT: as for making sense, people ask me why I got a Subaru. I tell them I like to have an AWD passenger vehicle. But it makes no sense to them...

It makes no sense to them because of where you live. They don't "get" AWD in the sunshine states. At least not the one's that haven't driven a WRX, etc. AWD only comes into it's own (on dry pavement) when you need to put down REAL HP without just making smoke. On a civic that generally means more than 300 HP and there's not a lot of people making that kind of power with them. Basically useless with 2WD.

I came here to get tips and info, not some hatred. I do understand what I want is absolutely stupid and blind, but it is what I want.

The problem is that this forum is populated with a bunch of cheap, practical, generally older (than you) members that aren't of that mindset - if it's expensive AND does nothing useful then none of us would really know anything about that. You are asking the wrong people I think. NASIOC probably has members that would know the answers to your questions if, for no other reason, than there is probably someone over there that has lowered an OBW and done all the exhaust research, etc.

Anyways, anything else you guys think would fit? Any of the strut mounts? I doubt the suspension bushings would fit.. I know that I can get KYB shocks, but I wish not to lower the ride height. Speaking of ride height, are any of the newer Outback struts interchangable? I'd love to have 8.3 to 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

The new style suspension stuff is not interchangeable AFAIK. You would need a lift kit - and those are availible from a few sources. It's going to be more involved than drilling holes though - you might get scared :eek:.

GD

I'll throw him a bone.

The crank pulleys for modern Subarus are almost entirely interchangeable. I'm sure STI/SPT/Prodrive would have those. You can also get a fancy chrome one from Perrin or Agency Power for around $100. Make sure you search on here or NASIOC to make sure it's right for you. EVERY mod has its tradeoffs.

Jacob

LoL. At least you admit to it. Why not spend that money on some tools and learn some skills like how to drill a hole? You aren't going to be able to go very far with SPT bolt-on's on an OBW.

Or why not get something that *has* a bolt-on aftermarket at least? Maybe something with a turbo instead of that mommy missle you're rockin. :)

It makes no sense to them because of where you live. They don't "get" AWD in the sunshine states. At least not the one's that haven't driven a WRX, etc. AWD only comes into it's own (on dry pavement) when you need to put down REAL HP without just making smoke. On a civic that generally means more than 300 HP and there's not a lot of people making that kind of power with them. Basically useless with 2WD.

The problem is that this forum is populated with a bunch of cheap, practical, generally older (than you) members that aren't of that mindset - if it's expensive AND does nothing useful then none of us would really know anything about that. You are asking the wrong people I think. NASIOC probably has members that would know the answers to your questions if, for no other reason, than there is probably someone over there that has lowered an OBW and done all the exhaust research, etc.

The new style suspension stuff is not interchangeable AFAIK. You would need a lift kit - and those are availible from a few sources. It's going to be more involved than drilling holes though - you might get scared :eek:.

GD

I could get scared. Something as important as the suspension can make me nervous as hell. The most work I've ever done on my car was change the brake pads and change the anti-roll bar. (And I still have an odd issue with the anti-roll bar clanking) Wait... Installing a 2" lift only involves putting on lift blocks, right? I think I can handle that, but I'm not sure if any other components could be affected by a lift. Of course, I've heard that one should go get the suspension aligned immediately (obviously since the geometry has changed).

• 4 years later...

I know this is an ancient topic, but just to clarify, the SOA8376400 or 8376300 (sedan) is only the axle-back muffler and not a complete header/cat/resonator/muffler system. The comments about it not fitting due to the oil cooler are irrelevant since it's a muffler, not a header that a few have failed to realize.

And some people want a stainless, bolt on, more than silent muffler for less than a muffler shop would put a crappy universal. It should fit the 99 OBW, it might be a listing error.