Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 engine swap and keeping cruise control

jboymechanic

Before I start, here's what I have:

Body: 1987 GL-10 Wagon (EA82t)

Trans: Originally a 3 speed auto, now a 5 speed D/R

Engine: 1993 Legacy OBDI EJ22

Other: 2 inch SJR lift

I just pulled the motor and entire wiring harness out of the Legacy donor car and I haven't stripped the harness down to only the things I need yet. My '87 wagon originally had cruise, but no longer works and I'm assuming it was lost during the previous owner's conversion from 3 speed auto to 5 speed manual with dual range. I was wondering if it is possible to use the EJ's cruise setup (I saved everything including the cable) and tie it into the cruise control buttons in my '87 dash? Has any one done this?

Also, does any one out there have the exact setup that I'm going for? I found some that were close, but maybe they had some extra lift or a GL instead of a GL-10. If any one knows of some one that did the same conversion I'm planning on in the future, can you put me in touch with them?

Would VSS stand for Vehicle Speed Sensor? Where is it on the donor car? The donor was an auto and mine is a manual, will it work? I have removed everything connected to the EJ donor car's cruise control setup that I could trace a wire to (I think), but I can double check with some helpful instruction. I still have the donor car in my drive way, but my wife wants it gone soon so I have to act fast.

using the EJ cruise would be possible, but difficult.

the EA82 cruise actuator is mounted on the throttle pedal. so nothing changed by the EJ swap will effect the way the cruise works.

I bet with the trans (and pedal-box) swap, the brake switch didn't get swapped. the cruise system needs a second switch on the brake pedal that's reverse polarity from the brake light switch (depressing the pedal turns the brake lights on, and the cruise off).

here's the switch for cruise, climb under there and see if you've got the 2-switch setup:

SLS157_FULL.jpg

I bet if you replace those 2 switches, which you'll have to do anyway, the EA82 cruise system will work (btw, rockauto has that setup on closeout right now for less than $10...).

either way, you will probably also want to hook up a clutch switch. it has the same functionality as the brake switch, so you could hook it up in sequence with it. So if either pedal is pushed in, the cruise is cancelled.

yes, VSS on both cars is in the gauge. you'll probably be hooking that up for the ECU anyway, so you could get it there.

I'll look for the cruise switches in my car and in the donor. So, if I get this correct I don't need to take the VSS off the donor? I'd really like to have the cruise control, the wife and I plan on taking this wagon on long distance camping trips.

the VSS on older cars (both the cars listed in your first post, EA82 and legacy, fit that category) is not a seperate sensor. it is the speedo. just a signal wire. you will already need to track it down and splice it for the EJ22 ECU. so no more work there for the cruise control.

I saved the switch off the pedal of the donor car tonight, I don't have the switch in the above picture sent by Numbchux. Should I plan on using the EA car dual switch or the EJ single switch? Both actually look like they have the same plug.

yea, the EJ switch might work for either system. You should install a working cruise-compatible switch in your EA82 and get the cruise system working now. and then it will work after the swap. it should be much simpler.

Do you have any idea if the cruise was factory installed or dealer installed? For the ea series body style there were a couple of different types of cruise systems available, one from the factory (which you might have because you have a turbo and need a vacuum pump that was only available from the factory I believe), and a dealer installer one. The reason why I ask is because the dealer installed system is a complete stand alone system. It's not integrated into the ECU or any of that crap, unlike the factory one that is integrated into the car alot more than the dealer one. So if your system is the dealer installed version, then it should be really easy to figure out why it's not working before doing the swap and then fix it. Because it's standalone it doesn't matter what engine is in the car or what ECU the car is using so it makes it MUCH easier to get the cruise to work.

The dealer installed system has a black box under the dash down by the hood release. It uses a pedal actuator that is controlled by vacuum to control the cars speed, so nothing to attach to the engine or anything, just the gas pedal. I think that this system would be the one you would want, because it is independent of the motor/ECU.

I picked up a complete dealer installed unit in the classifieds a few months back, so they pop up every once in a while, and I would go this route.

Here's my thread that has a little bit more info about the cruise stuff that I did and my trials and tribulations to get my cruise working properly in my turbo wagon:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105299

I hope some of this info is helpful!

Edited by eulogious

Before I start, here's what I have:

Body: 1987 GL-10 Wagon (EA82t)

Trans: Originally a 3 speed auto, now a 5 speed D/R

Engine: 1993 Legacy OBDI EJ22

Other: 2 inch SJR lift

I just pulled the motor and entire wiring harness out of the Legacy donor car and I haven't stripped the harness down to only the things I need yet. My '87 wagon originally had cruise, but no longer works and I'm assuming it was lost during the previous owner's conversion from 3 speed auto to 5 speed manual with dual range. I was wondering if it is possible to use the EJ's cruise setup (I saved everything including the cable) and tie it into the cruise control buttons in my '87 dash? Has any one done this?

Also, does any one out there have the exact setup that I'm going for? I found some that were close, but maybe they had some extra lift or a GL instead of a GL-10. If any one knows of some one that did the same conversion I'm planning on in the future, can you put me in touch with them?

I did this in an 89 GL turbo that originally had cruise.

It's pretty easy if you get a good diagrahm for the EJ wires. Make sure not to cut out any of the EJ Cruise wiring, and you will probably need the EJ vacuum pump.

For mine, I used a 96 outback harness and ECU, Cruise from a MT car. The GL wa originally automatic, stick now. It's not hard to do the wiring.

PM me if you have questions.

Where is the EJ vacuum pump? I have already saved all of the cruise control components and after starting to read the Haynes service manual it appears that the only difference in the cruise setups is a relay next to the cruise control box.

Haynes will not have acurate enough info on cruise wiring.

The leagcy Cruise pump is located on the lower part of the passenger side strut tower, just above the frame rail.

You could adapt the GL pump to work, but it will be easier to use all the leagcy stuff as then you don't have to cut and splice the pump wiring.

The only splices will be for the Control buttons in the steering column power from the main On/Off switch.

You can eliminate the relay, it was used in the Legacy to cut power each time the ignition is turned off.

Are any of the wires/plugs that go to the old EJ automatic needed if I'm putting the engine in front of my EA82 manual trans? I'm stripping down my own wiring harness, and I want to be certain I don't cut anything I need. Also, does any one know which wires (colors and connectors) are for the needed gauges/warning lights (tach, CEL, oil pressure, temp, alt)?

I found the three plugs that go to the gauges with idiot lights, how do I identify which ones are the ones I need? Any help is much appreciated. Also, the two test connectors should be black and yellow, is the yellow the kind of pale, ugly yellow (it is the only connector of that color)?

test connectors are black and green

Unless you are talking about the line end test connectors that are up by the windshield wiper motor. You can use that as a spot to tie intot he EA wiring, but there are better places up under the dash.

you need an FSM scan for your year EA. What year is it?

Also you need a scan of the wiring for the EJ, with those 2 things you should be able to track it all down.

it's gonna take a long time if we have to ID every wire over the forum for you.

I was referring the the test connectors mentioned on page 10 of Numbchux conversion manual. Here's the quote: "[Cirlcled] in blue are the 2 green 'Test Mode' connectors. The black read mode connector and the yellow select monitor will be near this. You'll want to save these for future troubleshooting."

What does FSM stand for? If I had detailed wiring diagrams for both cars (donor is a '93 Legacy with front wheel drive automatic, receiver is a '87 GL-10 Wagon with EA82 Turbo with auto converted to 5 speed manual with dual range) I could finish what I've started.

I'm very close to being done, I've saved the test connectors mentioned in Numbchux manual, the brown main ignition relay and wiring, fuel pump relay and wiring, and the ECU and all four bright yellow plugs for it, and all the wiring that goes to the various engine sensors and alternator. I just need to clean out the un-needed wiring to the three plugs that connected to the gauge cluster and then clean up the overall harness. If any one could send me detailed wiring diagrams (I just have some very basic ones from my Haynes manuals) that would be awesome. Can be sent to me email jboymechanic@yahoo.com

I've been taking my time and it's paying off. I have my wiring harness down to just the engine connections, the ECU connections, my cruise control, and the two fuse panels which is what my question is about.

On page 11 of Numbchux's write up, it states "you won't need to use any of the stock Legacy fuse panels. The engine control system only needs a little power. You can string one wire." Does this mean I can literally cut and remove all of the wiring going to the two fuse panels (one under the dash, the other under the hood)? Or do some of them need to be re-joined since the fuse will no longer be making the connection?

Also, what is/where is the "Atmospheric Pressure Sensor"? I was going through pin out of the ECU and found that I had cut this wire, what does it do, do I need it, and where is it? I still have all of the wiring that I've cut down, so if I need it I can pull it out of the pile.

Thanks.

Edited by jboymechanic
poor wording