Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When can the 4H head gaskets be trusted?

The head gasket issues aren't that big of a deal on the phase-II engines ('99 Forester, '00 Legacy). They develop an external coolant leak that is often stopped with the Subaru coolant conditioner. They don't overheat if the fluid is kept topped off. I have a '99 Forester with 240k on it. It started leaking externally - I put in two bottles of the Subaru stop leak (yes, you can do this according to Subaru) and it hasn't leaked a drop since. The stuff works well.

And even then - often these vehicles (being a decade old or nearly so) have had the head gaskets replaced by now. Plus it's not that big of a deal to repalce them and gives an opportunity to check seals and do timing belt, water pump, etc.

It's just a gasket. :rolleyes:

GD

Thanks, I might disagree a little, a water pump gaskt is just a gskt, a head gskt is a serious thing. I am a trained mechanic and was service manager of a small import car shop years ago. I am a field salesman in Alberta's oilfield and often many miles from home. I must trust my family in this car in -30 weather and nasty road conditions.

I appreciate your description. It is much easier to diagnose and the external leak is a good thing. When they start burning antifreeze and blowing hoses life gets exciting.

Bob,

Subaru started offering the new metal head gasket for all 2.5s a few years ago, so even a Forester or whatever from before then may have the new, much better gasket. It sticks up a little in certain places so you can tell if it's the good one without pulling the heads or anything crazy. Hopefully then you don't have to limit yourself to '04+ 2.5s.

Jacob

I have bought used 2.5 cars with head gaskets already replaced.... something else has often failed and thus why I bought them but I find that it's common to see them already done. Many were done before 100k miles and some before 60k. So as said above - don't limit yourself on the model years - just educate yourself on how to spot a replacement head gasket. They are pretty easy to see because they are an entirely different design than the original gaskets - MLS vs. old-school composite.

GD