Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at getting a 92 turbo legacy off a friend of mine for the winter and I have a few performance questions. What kind off boost are these things running stock? How much boost can I safely run with out doing anything other than throwing in a boost controller and intercooler. On my 80's turbo Chryslers with nothing but a i/C I can run 14psi all day long with no issues (fuel cut 14.7). How much power is the auto trans capable of handling without issues? The car is coming with WRX springs and strut tower mounts will they bolt in? Thanks in advance guys!

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/

That's where you want to be if you have a turbo legacy. Great cars.

The auto will hold the power fine, IF you keep it cool. Add an external transmission oil cooler, and change out the fluid a couple times. You can also move 1 wire/pin on the TCU connector and have the "power" shift map on command by pushing the manual button.

front mount intercooler is reccomended, but a top mount will work, just not as well if you're going for power. Snorkus-ectomy and coffee-cup mod for more turbo whistle and slight improvements in performance. 45 degree airbox from a 2.5l legacy can be made to fit and straightens out the air flow path quite a bit. Reuse the velocity stack inside the airbox from the turbo one.

Anthing you need to know is covered on legacycentral, they're the best resource for those cars.

^+1

Stock boost is <9psi. Using an MBC it can be upped to 13 before hitting factory fuel cut. There are 'fuel cut defenders' which can let you go higher. 19psi is the 2-Bar MAP sensor max.

The stock VF11 turbo is probably maxed around 14 anyway. Popular upgrade is a WRX TD04 and '06+ IC - but requires custom install to re-route hoses and wiring.

You'll want to consider fuel pump and injector upgrades over 14 psi, too.

Stock turbo 4EAT is stronger than 5-speed, from what I've read...as stated, keep it cool!

The WRX suspension bits should work..not my strong point...there is good info on Legacy Central.

GL,

Td