Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87' GL DR tranny into 95' Impreza?

abeattie220

so trannys in engines in but it wont start with the ignition totally dead stick it will fire right up if i jumper the starter strait to battery and stay running but at 2000 rpm i have the park switch jumpered out and i know i need to ground the AT/MT pin on the PCM but im still not sure what one it it is and is this whats causing my no ign start and high idle condition? also i just got it in and only had the head pipes on it so no O2 sensors or back pressure i dunno if that makes a difference

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

front axles are also an issue. the axle stubs on the D/R are 23-spline, and your imprezas are 25-spline. Again, you might be able to make some hybrid axles with what you have, or '93-'94 MT imprezas have 23-spline inner axles.

so this means that the '93-'94 impreza front axles can be use in a '95-newer impreza to allow the ea tranmission to match up the ej hubs?

so this means that the '93-'94 impreza front axles can be use in a '95-newer impreza to allow the ea tranmission to match up the ej hubs?

Yup.

Pretty sure that it works for Legacy/Imp/Forrester.

But 2wd Imp axles are pretty weak compared to the newer Outback and Forrester axles. For a heavy Outback or Forrester, or really any EJ chassis, it'd be better to put 25 spline stubs into the EA trans/front diff.

how does that work

you have to split the transmission case. no small project. IMHO not worth it to just swap axle stubs.

I don't know, I haven't actually run the 23-spline EJ axles, but I have seen them in person, out of the car. they don't seem terribly under-built. I think if they were run at a reasonable angle and you didn't abuse them too badly, they'd probably hold up fine.

you have to split the transmission case. no small project. IMHO not worth it to just swap axle stubs.

Once you've done it a few times, it's not that hard.

I recently needed an adapter plate for a friends swap. I don't have any on hand right now......except the one in my 89 GL w/ single range 5spd.

SO.....we pulled the trans, split it, stuffed the guts into the case halves from a Legacy, and put it all back toghether.

Pulling and reinstalling the the trans was the hard part.

Splitting the cases, and swapping parts and bolting them up took about 2-3 hours. It could be even quicker if you are JUST swapping stubs.

It may not be worth it for an Imp, being as they are pretty light. But to put an old D/R into a Legacy/Outback/Forrester, I would want to keep those cars axles and make the trans 25 spline to fit.

The EJ pitch stopper bracket will bolt right onto the EA trans.

Speedo cable should be a direct fit. The hole in the side of the trans will accept either a cable, or a sensor....not sure which you're 95 Imp has, but it should be a direct fit for either.

• 1 month later...