Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a dilemma.

Tosh

I recently picked up a fairly clean 84 GL for $250 and set about fixing it all up for DD usage. It already had a brand new radiator, alt, and recent tune up. I fixed up the PCV, a torn CV boot, and replaced both the broken front door handels. The big downside is its a 2WD. I'd like to swap it over to 4x4 with a dual range because I really do like the EA81 body styles a lot. My first car was a 83 yellow GL so they kind of have sentimental value to me.

Enter the problem. I just got a free 86 dual range wagon for doing a tune up and brakes on a friend of the families legacy. BUT, its got a cracked head. I've done an EJ swap before and deep down I'd rather do that swap then put another EA in.

I don't really have the space/money to be involved with 2 projects right now. I guess I've answered my own question.:rolleyes: Rock the 84 and let the 86 sit until I have the means to get it fix 'right'. but any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. :lol:

Get all the parts for the ea81 to make it 4x4 and put the five speed dr out of the one you just got in it :headbang: (Just my .02) I like the second gens much better, and one with one of the five speed dr is awesome! Or you could pick up an ea81 for cheep and drop it into the car you just got to make it a good driver until you feel like EJing it.

I cant imagine driving an ea81 with out a five speed d/r, and to think you got every part for the swap in the ea82. Well minus torsion tube, knuckles and axles. Unless the ea82 is fit to be fixed and sold to pay for said ea81 conversions, I would be so inclined to mod out the ea81 like said previous poster pointed plainly.

Now for the flip, If you can fix the head for super cheap with a jy one, it might be possible to keep a spare dd until you want to do something like the ej swap. I like having two used cars as that is the only really reliable transportation.

I for one want to 6lug my wagon but I dont have a spare driver at the moment, so I cant send off my hubs. I got rear discs so I really cant get/find spares. (But boy if I find a set....!)

Now for the flip' date=' If you can fix the head for super cheap with a jy one, it might be possible to keep a spare dd until you want to do something like the ej swap. I like having two used cars as that is the only really reliable transportation.[/quote']

I'm leaning towards this. The problem with pulling the D/R from the EA82 and diving into the 4x4 swap on the EA81 is that it will leave me with nothing to drive to work. Where if I fixed the head in the EA82 I would have two running subarus :banana: then I could do projects on one of them seeing as I'd have the other to drive.